Drill press table

davestanton

A quick paragraph of history. I have been struggling with my little drill press for years to the point that I nearly left it out by the kerb for a passerby to pick it up. It vibrated, the work table wouldn't rise or swivel, the list goes on. After hanging out in here for a few months I remembered the old adage, A bad carpenter always blames his tools....well maybe I should change my name to "Bad carpenter"? I spent an hour or so with an oil can, light abrasives and some patience....hey presto, a drill press that worked like it did about 10 years ago.

Now to the subject. I watched a

and thought I could do something similar. I could go out and buy a table for under $100 but decided to embark on the venture myself.

So far I have bolted the drill press to a mobile bench and cut a pattern out. The pattern has been marked with a felt pen and it is amazing how easy it is to get a feel for usability after the pattern was actually sat on the little adjustable table. I will keep everyone posted as I move along with this.

Nice video...useful table for wood and easy to remove for the occasional metal application which will involve shavings and lubricating fluids. For that, you could have an additional support on the right side to insert the shop vac hose into just to capture the metal things.

I like the light arms...especially now since the eyes need some bifocals and additional light! :unsure:

Nice dave.

Thanks for the link to that video - very informative. I have that exact same DP (as in the video), and I've been wondering how I can make it more "user friendly".

Did anyone else do a touble-take to look more closely at the linkage/hinges he made for the DC and light? Very cool!

I also like the offset handle feature. I have a floor standing drill press and was going to put a raised table so that i could reach the handle without bashing my fingers into the table. but i also had thoughs of cutting the stand down and making is a bench top. that would make it moble and give me more storage.