Baltic birch ply question

sbarton22

The real Baltic and Finnish birch that I buy has identical ply thicknesses from top to bottom. The "big box style" birch ply I occasionally buy from the same supplier has a thin veneer on the faces and thicker core veneers. The BB and FB is ~ 50-75% more $$ per sq/ft, but is flatter and available as 5x5, 4x8, or 5x10 sheets. The big box ply is available only in 4x8 sheets.

I have some in the garage right now. The two sides of the ply have different thicknesses for the outside layers. There seems to be a nicer side that has a layer just a little thicker than the uglier side. Either way the outside layers are thinner than the inside eleven layers. I'm wondering if the outside layers started the same thickness and then were sanded down.

I would be comfortable sanding the side with the slightly thicker layer but wouldn't want to sand the side with the thinner layer.

• 1 month later...

I have found that the faces are the same as the center plys but then the faces of the sheet get sanded, which can result in one or both faces being slightly thinner. The 5 x 5 sheets are the real deal, the other sizes might be or not. Be very skeptical of the big box stuff.

There are different grades of Baltic, the more footballs in the face the lower the grade. The better stuff and the thicker stuff seems to stay flatter, thinner and cheaper with more football patches seems to warp and twist more. Look over the edges of the sheet, voids and overlapping layers are a sign of poor quality. My standard drawer box has been 1/2 Baltic for 20 years. Solid maple dovetailed is an upgrade option, but I refuse to use MDF or melamine.

The baltic birch I purchase in 5x5 sheets have even thickness layers throughout, including skins. 4x8 sheets are not baltic birch, they are chiwanese imports according to my lumber company and are a cheaper price but definately a lower grade ply. I've gone that route and will not again.