suggestions please

greatrockandroll

I have a problem. I am on a tight budget and I need to choose between two options.

1. my shop is a mess because i have hardly any storage. My plan is to combine an outfeed table with alot of storage underneath and get the shop organized

2. I have most power tools but I dont have a jointer and I found a used one for a bargain

Both options cost about the same, and I need both, but I can only afford one. Which option do you think I shoud go with and why.

Thanks in advance .

Domenic - If I were in your position, I'd go for the jointer first. If you found one at at bargain, you may not know when the next opportunity to snag one at that price will be. Then when your funds allow, you get the materials for your outfeed table/storage unit, which should be available whenever you're ready.

Hope that helps, Happy Holidays!

I consider an outfeed table to be an absolute must have, for safety reasons. If I told you the story about why my left thumb looks the way ti does, you'd understand completely. So spend your money on the jointer if you want, but also be sure to put together something (even if it's cheap, crude, and temporary) to use for an outfeed table until you can afford to do it up right.

-- Russ

Oh boy, an essay contest! I like the idea of adding the jointer to your shop, but I'm wondering if you have thickness planer yet? If you do, then I say go for the jointer. Otherwise, build away on the storage units and outfeed table.

Now for the explanation portion of the post. If you currently don't own a thickness planer than the jointer isn't quite as useful as you think. The jointer does one job and one job really well, it flattens a face or edge. But if you flip the board's face over to work the other side, you'll get it flat, but probably not parallel to the first face. THAT'S what the thickness planer does. Thickness planers make it possible to get two faces parallel with each other. No other machine does that, unless of course you can accomplish it with a hand plane.

A jointer can't make a board equally thick across the entire length and width of a board by itself, but it is possible to do it with a thickness planer. It takes a little work, typically a sled that you can shim an unflat board on to make it stable to run through the planer, but it only takes a pass or two to get the first face ready. That's a conversation for another post.

So, I say, if you don't own a thickness planer already skip the jointer and take care of the shop storage and such.

I agree with Matt and Dave. Out feed table and get organized. I built a tower on wheels with four shelves. My planer is on the second shelf. This way when I want to plane some wood I just roll the unit out and use it. The other shelves hold all kinds of tools and attachments. I have a quarter of my garage to use and this really gave me some space to work with. I organize each time I'm in the shop, that's never ending.

A new tool is always a more exciting purchase. You'll use the outfeed table much more often and be safer while working. Build a unit on wheels with locks, that can serve as an outfeed table and assembly table that has storage underneath - drawers, doors, etc. portable clamp caddy. Dave reminds me of conversations with my dad..."BUT DAD....THIS is a deal!!! There will not be another deal like this one!!" Dad would always say, 'son....there will be more deals'. At the time, I thought it was a put off....decades later, I see it's true. I keep watching Craig's list for a 20" planer. A couple weeks ago, there were 4 in the local area and 3 of them had upgraded heads! I didn't have the $800. Today, there is nothing but lunch boxes. A month from now, there will be 4 more, 20 inchers.

• Like 1

i say get the jointer and organize the shop with even just cardboard boxes for the time being. hard to build anything if you cant find the tool in the mess. a outfeed table is a must but so is a good jointer. so buy a cheap support for you table saw (always come in hand down the line) and buy the jointer because if it the same cost as some plywood and couple pine board then its probably a decent deal. make shure you check out that it works and no big pits in the top. by the way type of jointer is it and what is the size? how much do they want for it?