Short lumber storage

Static_23

Here's one way:

post-685-0-17498400-1325452636_thumb.jpg

I like it because it's easy to see what's there by looking down from the top, and it's easy to grab any given piece because they're not all stacked on top of each other.

If the rack is full when I go to put a new cutoff into it, I find the least valuable board in the rack and throw it away to make room for the new one. That way the quality of the material in the rack improves over time, and I don't waste a bunch of space storing crap.

The purple paint is optional.

-- Russ

• Like 1

@mkirby: Maybe the picture is deceiving. The tall part of the rack is about three feet high (in fact there happens to be a yardstick visible in the picture!), and the longest boards you see there are only five or six feet long. The ceiling is eight feet high. It's no problem to lift and tilt the longer boards in and out of the rack.

-- Russ

Here's my short lumber storage cart, I modified a design I saw in a magazine(Wood Magazine IIRC). You can see from my layout lines how it is stepped at each shelf. It is good for shorter than 6" peices to 3'-4' peices. The bottom shelf holds up to 18", and the longer ones go vertically. Anything over 4' goes back on the lumber rack.

When it gets too full, I cull the lumber and move it to the firewood pile. I need to go thru and organize it better after this weekend.

It's not too large, so the short cutoff's don't get too out of hand.

post-406-0-81604600-1325649482_thumb.jpg