My Largest Turning to date....

croessler

Yes, that is a glue block and it is more than strong enough to hold it. As example, when I was ready to cut it away in order to separate the bowl the tool caught and was nearly bent into a U-shape. Strong enough? :blink:

On another note this was also my first time using Potassium Dichromate to age/darken a piece....

Duckkisser,

I purchased mine on Ebay; You can get it in smaller amounts that way. I started my investigation into it following David Marks' web page on the subject. I used 1/4 tsp per cup of water. I recommend experimenting with it a bit first; a little goes a long way.

Also, this is the common name. I recommend buying in smallish amounts (a few ounces) at a time. A pound of this would last a life time unless your a production furniture maker.

TimV,

I had used TiteBond III. The real issue is that I forgot to use a piece of craft paper between the block and the turning blank. This usually makes it easier to remove. The grain on the block was in line with the grain on the blank making the strongest bond possible between the two pieces. Not to mention I used a piece of Maple as it was the only smallish piece I had laying around; my parting tool suffered a sad fate because of this choice. However, that piece was not going to prematurely separate! <_<

Well.... You are supposed to apply glue to the turning blank then apply the paper; after this you set the sacrificial block in place and clamp it down it some manner. There will be adhesion due to glue that soaks through the paper but you do not get a full bond like I did.

I enjoy turning Mahogany... The key thing I have found is that it turns much like Cherry in that when you hit the end grain sections it can tear out pretty easily. The only recourse I have found is keeping the tools very sharp. On this blank I tried the Easy Wood Tools with carbide cutters and did not get the same amount of tear out. Also, keep in mind that this is African Mahogany and is harder / denser than "real" Mahogany.

My Mother in-Law wanted a really big Salad bowl for Christmas..... This is the result.

It started life as a 24x20x4 blank of African Mahogany;Here I am flattening a face to attach the sacrificial block.

post-5584-0-98833600-1325634253_thumb.jp

Nearly Done!

post-5584-0-97534000-1325634260_thumb.jp

Finished :) End Result = 19.5" x 3.75"

post-5584-0-52445900-1325634268_thumb.jp

That is gorgeous! I want that piece and your lathe!

SQ

• 5 months later...

Nice looking work. I do quite a bit of stain work with the potassium dichromate and local mahogany. A good handful of my work I use this on to achieve the finishes on the antiques and replicas down here in the caribbean. Started turning some bowls a while back and sure is a lot of fun. Anyways like I was saying nice work. Here is a 22" bowl on top of a 20x20 butcher block I made both out of local mahogany.

post-7111-0-16463200-1340076989_thumb.jp

• Like 1