In search of some ideas

Guest run4cover

Guest run4cover

My wife and I are to become grandparents in December and then again in late February. I am not an expert woodworker, but I have some skill. I am wanting to build both grandchildren something that will last and they will not outgrow in a couple of years. I am not interested in a crib or changing table. I have put some thought into dressers or chest of drawers. I am just wondering if anyone has some good ideas or a place I can get some plans. Thanks

I'm thinking that a well made chest of drawers will stay in the family forever, but children may leave it at home when they go away to college or military service. It may move from person to person depending on who has space for it. A small jewelery box or picture frame is more likely to stay with someone throughout their life. Or a small religious object (eg cross) if that would be appropriate.

Maybe a good compromise would be a chest. They can be handy for young people who move frequently, and also fit well into a permanent home. And they would make a great toy chest / treasure chest for children.

Welcome Run4cover, whatever you decide on, if you want it to stay nice for a lifetime I would go with something like a chest, something that would not get abused during childhood years. I did a three toy boxs just a few years ago and am sadden when I see two of them. I am a Guild member and I can tell you Marc goes into great detail in the project videos, depending on the project he will put out approx 4 or 5 to 8 plus videos showing the build. You also have access to the videos if you decide to do the build in the future. I can also say I have taken some classes at Woodcraft and I feel the price of the Guild membership which is not much more, is for more bang for your buck. Best of luck in your decision, Pat

Boy did you come to the right place. Join the guild. It's CHUMP CHANGE in cost to the level of education that you get. Hours, upon hours of HD video footage and explanation of things. Marc's videos make the New Yankee Workshop look like a 30 second TV commercial.

Plus you get great discounts at places you probably already spend money at, like Rockler.

I've built a cherry toy box with curved top (my own design). If you do this make sure you use hardware that will prevent the lid from mashing little fingers. Air holes in the bottom are recommended too. Last year I built a rocking horse with plans and a kit from here. I slightly modified the pattern to suit my sense of design and I highly recommend that you buy the kit.

Whatever you build, use a finish that can be digested with no ill effects, like shellac.