HVLP Recommendations

sbarton22

Could I get some mid to lower end recommendations on sprayers? Or, what a fella should be looking for?

Now, I suppose that could mean that folks could give me their thoughts on if I go to HF and get the crappiest thing they have and it is great, it's what I put in the sprayer that makes the difference.

OR

You could tell me that I could get the best finish ever but in a junk sprayer, it is worthless. You could tell me that it isn't worth getting until I can get a top of the line sprayer.

I'm thinking of starting to spray finish some of my pieces, but a sprayer isn't the highest thing priority on my budgeted tool list. This is the beginning of my research, so I don't have any idea of what kind of questions I whould be thinking about.

Thanks in advance,

scott

I have the Earlex 5000. It is a great unit, easy to use and provides a great finish. It's also inexpensive. The only problem I have with it is space. During the summer I just spray in the driveway but in the winter like today it's 20 degrees out. I either have to set up curtains to contain the overspray or cover the bikes and spray in the garage. In the winter I just end up hand finishing unless it is a project that just clearly needs to be sprayed.

• Like 1

Air Compressor was my assumption. I didn't realize there were other selections. are there some major advantages/ disadvantages?

Speaking of cold, if it is cold outside, can I still shoot inthe driveway (assuming I wear my mitten and long johns) or do most sprayed finished not flow well or set in the cold? (and I am assuming I would bring it back into the garage after I spray it)

I've done it with a compressor, I never had enough power to keep it going strong. The overspray was pretty bad too.

I just bought the Earlex 5000

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/EX-5000/Earlex-Spray-Station-5000

I love it, easy to use, compact to store, simple to clean, overspray isn't bad. Price was right too.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-45-music-to-my-earlex/

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/waterborne-finishes-hvlp/

• Like 1

I've used the Porter Cable gravity HVLP & the Wagner Conversion HVLP guns for the past 10 years or so. I just upgraded to a Fuji Q4 HVLP Turbine system this spring.

I'd recommend the Wagner Conversion HVLP if you don't want to spend alot of money, new they can be purchased for ~$120 and can run off of a 2HP 4 or 6 gallon tank compressor for smaller jobs and can also be converted for pressure pot use. The overspary isn't too bad once you have the settings dialed in.

If you don't have a decent compressor, you may want to check out the Earlex, I haven't personally used one, but they consistently get good reviews.

Last summer I bought the Wagner Control Spray Max HLVP (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PGQI48/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000DZBP60&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QB10YPAGCTDF1438WRW) to spray a home theater screen. I don't regret it one bit. In full disclosure though I have no other experience with HLVP sprayers but did research this one a ton (but from the angle of home theater screen spraying).

There are just to many choices. Really just depends on why you want to spray. If your expecting a finish that we put out professionally at a pro cabinet shop then your not going to get it out of a low end sprayer like and earlex or wagner. If you looking to just save time and not have to deal with brush strokes then the lower end ones work just fine and probably all you need.

I would suggest an earlex and use it as a stepping stone or experimental sprayer. Learn the ins and outs of spraying while keeping your expectations real then maybe upgrade if you find spraying is for you.

Don

Your top end guns use better materials (internal) such as stainless steel the fit of parts are precise. Feel more comfortable in your hand. Easy to repair and replace parts. All guns have their claim to fame such as better atomization Hvlp and LVLP. Water-Based is our future.

For a hobby woodworker who shoots maybe a handful of projects a year. A huge wast of money to buy a 500.00 compressed air spray gun.

Once a finish drys...you can't tell if it came from a 40.00 or 500.00 spray gun. Let me put it to you like this...can you tell a rip cut from a cheap table saw vs. an expensive table saw by someone who knows what they are doing? NO! The expensive table saw is made up of better parts. Made to last and has more horsepower to rip through thicker boards without slowing down. (just a comparison don't over analyze)

People tend to over complicate spray finishes...think about a spray can of paint...problem is they work nice till you empty half the can. Then they start to sputter and run out of propellant...then we start to panic and our spray technique changes to panic mode and get a rough finish.

The object of the game is to get your finish on wet enough so the finish can do its thing...FLOW OUT. Always remember...certain finishes are formulated for SPRAY only or can be a combination of either SPRAYED or BRUSHED.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at buying the Earlex 5500, which is the newer model to the 5000. Have not made the jump yet but have been watching some videos on comparisons between the Earlex and the Fuji and it seems like Earlex had some good reviews and held up well. If you are on FB, friend me and you can see the links on my wall.

Glad I saw this thread.... helped me to get some different perspectives also.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an earlex. Didn't realize it constantly blew air out the tip. Really stirs up the dust if you haven't done a good job vacuuming up before spraying. I'd also recommend getting the different needles. I used the 2.0 that came with it and sprayed a water based poly with not so good results my first time out. The sprayer is nice. Gonna take more practice.

I always rinse my gun before I fill it with finish and I always use water born finish so I'm rinsing with water. While I'm blowing the water out I wet the entire area and floor of the spray area and I never have a issue with dust blowing around. As far as the tip I use the 1.5mm needle and it works great.

I know I about drove everyone crazy asking questions. But if anyone is looking to buy a sprayer, I can highly recommend the Earlex HVLP 5500. I did a lot of (and I mean ALOT) research and comparing as you all could probably figure out and finally bought one this past week. I am still getting used to spraying (adjusting the flow) on scrap boards but I love it! Two thumbs up from my end!