Storing plywood under in an assembly table

Danny Beckley

I'm looking to build and assembly table along the lines of the torsion box that Mark S. has designed. It occurred to me that if I built this table a few inches larger than 4'x8', I would be able to store full sheets of plywood horizontally below the work surface.

The table would use kick-up casters like Norm's design: http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207

Has anyone else tried such a thing? Dumb idea?

Haven't tried it and no, I don't think it's necessarily a dumb idea. Sheet goods are a pig to store no matter what you do with them. Some things do jump to mind, though:

• Where will you get the sheet materials to make a top that is bigger than standard sheet materials?
  • 4' across is already a sizable span. If you're building really big stuff and will end up climbing up onto the table, rock on. Otherwise, you may find yourself reaching and leaning in an effort to get into the center of the table.

Good luck.

How would you accommodate the legs? At least on one side you would have to move the legs outward to fit the sheet goods in. Would you have enough room in your shop to have the table in place and be able to pull the sheet out? The size of the top is not the big issue. A 4X8 sheet with a skirt around it or breadboard would increase the size. Would this be practical versus a wall rack?

Not a bad idea, if you have space for a 4x8 (or bigger) assembly table. If you do - consider me green with envy :)

I guess I would be concerned about the sheer size of it. Working on an item, reaching to the middle of it, or having to walk around it....seems like it might be less than optimal. You could easily try this out - on your next project, put a 4x8 sheet on some sawhorses (use 2x4's across them for support) and use that for your assembly table. See how that works for you.

The weight might also be an issue....it wouldn't take a lot of sheet goods to become very very heavy.