Shop drawers - 1/2" or 3/4" ?

Jfitz

Hi all -

I'm in the middle of making a storage cabinet for under my TS extension wing. I want to store layout tools, push sticks, blades, setup tools, feather boards, etc. The heaviest and largest item is my tenon jig but I think I will store that on a shelf somewhere.

I'd like to know what people have used in their shop cabinets for drawers - 3/4" sides or 1/2" sides? I plan on using a 1/2" ply bottom, in a dado into the sides. I'm unsure about the sturdiness if 1/2 ply with a 1/4" dado.

Thanks for any input or experiences.

1/2 inch should be just fine, i would use what you have laying around, the worse that could happen is the 1/2 inch fails, so what, you built it, you can build it again with the 3/4

Pretty much the approach I took - I think it'll work just fine. For heavier stuff I'll use 5/8 or 3/4

I used 1/2" for all of my shop drawer and theyu work fine. YOu did the smart thing and used 1/2" for the bottoms as well. I was not so smart. I used 1/4" and I regret it everyday. I also mounted my drawer slides onthe bottom to get the most room, wish that I would have mounted them on the side. Live and learn right? SOmeday they may get made again or I will just have to figure out some way to modify them to use the side drawer slides.