Newbie Needs Help

Rayzer

Hi everyone,

Got a question concerning the location of a workshop. I have a single car garage that, although is attached to the house, it is uninsulated and there's no heat or A/C. When you step in there, it's just like you stepped outside. Living in NC, sometimes the humidity rivals that of Florida...ughh!

My question is if this is the type of environment that I should be sticking $5000-$6000 worth of equipment in? I know it's not desirable, but is it doable without ruining all the equipment. I should also mention that this is a rental house and we will more than likely be here for at least 3-5 years more years.

Also, I'm not expecting a definitive answer, but just a ballpark figure on this next question. Assuming that I can turn this into something that resembles a wood shop, what would a ballpark cost be to wire it for electricity? The breaker box is located in this space and the landlord doesn't have a problem with me doing so...for obvious reasons...as long as I hire a certified electrician. Right now there are only two 110 outlets out there on a 15 amp breaker, so it doesn't take much to trip them. Again, just curious as to what kind of cost would be involved if anyone has done something like this lately.

Items to put in the shop would most likely include;

• Table Saw
  • Band Saw
  • Jointer
  • Drill Press
  • Planer
  • Belt/Disk Sander
  • Air Compressor
  • Dust Collection System
  • Air Filtration System (maybe)
  • Various Hand Tools

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

I don't have a full answer for you but a place to start would be to decide how big the main tools will be. If you want a 3hp TS, 18" BS, 8" jointer, 15" planer, you will have one cost for the wiring. If they are smaller on 110v it will be a lot cheaper.

My suggestion is to make a rough decision on the tools and then talk to some electricians.

Two (or however many) outlets on one breaker are, in effect, only one outlet. If you're just working by yourself, you want a minimum of two and ideally three circuits:

• A circuit for whatever tool you are using at the moment...saw, jointer, planer, whatever. Since you only use them one at a time, they can all go on the same circuit.
  • A circuit for your dust collector. Definitely separate this one out as it pulls a fair bit of current and does get used simultaneously with whatever stationary tool you're using.
  • A circuit for the lights

The last two could be combined if you have a smaller DC, but I prefer to have the lights separated out. When a tool trips a breaker, it won't leave you in the dark and it won't dim the lights every time you turn on the DC.

As for what it'll cost, Jim's right: Get some local estimates. You may be able to whittle down the cost by bending some of the conduit, putting in the boxes and pulling the wires, then bring in the pros to make the final connections and give their blessing on things before throwing the switch.

As to keeping tools in such an environment, Illinois (in summer, at least) can be almost as much of a swamp as anywhere else in the world. Paste wax will be your friend.