Confused about Food Safe Sealers

kre8tiv1

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum and I'm hoping that the incredibly knowledgeable participants can help me. I have spent the better part of the weekend researching food safe sealers and I'm so confused :unsure:

I am refinishing a wood table and adding glass mosaic on top. I need a sealer that is food safe, as it will be used as a kitchen table.

I've tried Google searching for food safe epoxy, food safe sealers, etc., but the search usually brings up manufacturers websites that list all sorts of technical stuff that I don't understand!

So, simple question...does anyone know of a food safe sealer that I can use on my table top that would be compatible with both wood and glass?

Many thanks,

Lin

IMO for a table, a food safe finish isn't necessary. It's really only needed when food that you're eating or preparing will come in direct contact before it hits your mouth :) I.e. Cutting boards, plates, etc.. I'd use a tough finish like a poly to stand up to the wear and tear of sliding plates, spills, hot pots, etc...

• Like 1

OK, when I was making toys for my daughter I was in your shoes; I knew she was going to be chewing (sorry; teething :) on the them and wanted a tough, safe finish. A product I've used a fair amount is made by Crystalac (sold through McFeely's) http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/CLP-1600/Gallon-Semi-Gloss-2001-CrystaLac-Water-Based-Wood-Finish

It's rated as food safe, and safe for use on childrens toys, chemical resistant, etc... I really like it; hard finish and very forgiving on the application.. I'm sure there are others, but this is one that I am familiar with.

Hope this helps!

According to Bob Flexner, the king of finishes...

“No myth in wood finishing is more ingrained in the psyche of woodworkers than the belief that oil and varnish finishes containing metallic driers are unsafe to eat off of, or to be chewed by children. . . . Salad bowl finsih is Varnish!. . . they contain the same driers as the oils and varnishes woodworkers are told to shy away from. . . in fact all finishes are safe to ear off of or to be chewed once the finish has fully cured. . . the rule of thumb is 30 days.”

The clincher was an FDA excerpt on the same page of Flexner’s book. I understand that the FDA evolves and is quite often wrong as time passes, but they are about as accurate as can be with the knowledge known at any given time. It stated:

“The FDA lists that all common driers are safe for food contact as long as the finish is made properly – that is, as long as the finish cures.”

Flexner states that in his many years, he has never heard of an account in which a cured clear finish has been reported as having caused a health issue in adults or children."

• Like 1

I would like it to be food safe. Little ones often transfer their food from their plates to the table.

Thanks.

I understand your concern. Food safe finishes are for things that are likely to transfer finish to something that may be ingested, like a bowl. Finish will not transfer during normal use, not even normal toddler use.

Don

I wouldn't hesitate to use a varnish product for my family. My beliefs fall in line with Mr. Flexners. But I also understand why someone would want to go with something a little more "obviously" safe. For that, I'd recommend shellac. Probably not the best finish for a frequently-used table, but you can be pretty confident that the film is totally food safe.