end vice install question

Kevmc

The cavity for my end vice ended up about 4 1/8 instead of the 4 inches in the plan. Should I just go with that measurement for the metal bars that are dadoed on the bottom or should I offset each one 1/16 to overcome the difference so that the sliding block plate has the proper clearance but not to much.

My cavity ended up a little over as well. I lined up the front bar with the inside edge of the front lamination and kept the spacing at 4". The inner bar overhangs the cavity, but offset of the screw holes in the bars and the general strength of the assembly made me confident that it would not present a problem. I think you risk compounding the problem if you install the vise out of spec as well.

IMG_0314.JPG

Hey Kevmc. It really depends on where that 1/8" came from. If your dog hole strip is the exact thickness the plan calls for, then the 1/8" is probably coming from the routed slot. In this case, you would probably want to do exactly as jlawyer did and line up your outside rail flush and your inside rail will have a slight overhang.

If your dog hole strip was oversized and that's the culprit, then your routed cavity is probably the correct dimension and you should line up your inside rail flush with the inside face of the routed slot. The outside rail would then overhang the front laminate strip slightly. Make sense?

Hey Kevmc. It really depends on where that 1/8" came from. If your dog hole strip is the exact thickness the plan calls for, then the 1/8" is probably coming from the routed slot. In this case, you would probably want to do exactly as jlawyer did and line up your outside rail flush and your inside rail will have a slight overhang.

If your dog hole strip was oversized and that's the culprit, then your routed cavity is probably the correct dimension and you should line up your inside rail flush with the inside face of the routed slot. The outside rail would then overhang the front laminate strip slightly. Make sense?

thanks so much. Makes perfect sense. I was headed towards splitting the difference. My Cavity was a bit oversized so I adjusted the inside rail. After a little bit of shimming the vice works awesome. I am amazed it works given the tight tolerances and my propensity for errors