Gel stain on kitchen cabinets

eball

A lot of what if's

Light sanding and cleaning (hopefully with TSP or a solvent) is not the best. Why, because you just don't know what those kitchen cabinets have been exposed to over the years. Oaks are the worst woods due to the open pores that collect years of grime.

Also, think about what finishing products you will be using. Solvent based finishes tend to penetrate deep with hot solvents and re-wet the surface below. So should this happen and say the wood underneath is not clean, your finish now has opened itself to potential mingling with contaminates. Probably a year later, your finish may flake and become bad, you just don't know.

Sealers are important. Match the recommend sealer to the topcoat, your finish supplier will be a big help here. A true vinyl sealer is best with solvent finishes as shellac is with water-based finishes. In my opinion, stripping the cabinets back, you are stacking the cards in your favor. Nothing worse than labor/materials applying a finish 2 twice.

Whatever you decide on trying test it on the back of a lower door. Clean, seal, stain ,topcoat and see how it comes out. Take notes and practice on other door backs before you tackle the whole kitchen.

I have had good results cleaning and scuffing the surface with Scotch- Brite pads, red, gray ,and white. Red is coarse, gray medium, and white is fine. Don't get the surfaces too wet with cleaners, or give plenty of drying time if you get carried away. Areas around stoves and frequently used doors can be very greasy.

Gel stain might work, give it plenty of drying time and do not put it on too thick or leave globs in corners and crevices. Thin coats of stain and finish dry faster and more uniform.

This may be slightly off topic...

I have used many stains on many different types of lumber. I have decided recently, that I am tired of the hassle and use of stains. If I want a dark project, I now choose a dark wood (instead of staining something walnut, I build out of walnut). If I want a reddish tint, I build from cherry, etc.

This can be expensive, as "the real deal" can cost much more. In the end, however, you have a great project. As a bonus, if it gets nicked or dented, the colour is all the way through!

• Like 1