storing extra finish

rodger.

I use plastic containers from chinese take out to store small amounts of water base finishes. Metal cans for solvent base. I dropped a mason jar with stain in it, glass shards are hard to see in a sea of brown......

I keep a metal quart can with lacquer thinner in it to soak my painters pyramids in . The layers of built up finish just slides off after a few hours. I forgot a batch soaking for over a week and the pyramids were just fine. Quick swipe with an abrasive pad and they are good as new.

I mix and store finishes in mason jars all the time, but have moved away from them for longer term storage. The problem is if the lid gets stuck. Ask me why one corner of my shop has amber tinted Ultrastar drops everywhere. Mason jars and strap wrenches don't play that well together.

For longer term storage and easy opening, most paint stores sell empty pint, quart, and gallon cans, suitable for any finish.