Portable dust collectors.

Derekkest

I definitely think it can be done. I was (pleasantly) surprised at how easy it was to build a Thien-style dust separator to use as a "pre-stage" with my shop vac. Those two items together, I feel, give me dust collector performance on much less budget. The difference being, of course, is that I've got two trash-can sized items clogging up my shop (the separator and the vac).

If you could build those two items into a stacked cart arrangement, on wheels, I think that would be exactly what you need.

I am going to be moving my shop into the garadge ( More room ) and I really dont want to go nuts with the pvc again for dust collecting. Anybody have any ideas on how to build a portable dust collector? Is it possible?

I figure something on rollers obviously, that I can move about from station to station.

I have a HF 2 hp DC that I don't move (though it can). I connected a Rockler Dust Right Expandable hose to it. If you get the Dust Right handle, it is easier to quick-connect to tools plus there's a clean-up 'wand' that's handy (if you call a 4" dia pipe a wand). Nice, too, that it collapses easily so it tends to be the minimum length, which also actually reduces the drag effect of the ribs inside. That hose can expand 7x its un-stretched length. Versions stretch to 14, 21 and 28 ft.

My local Rockler has theirs set up to be mobile. Its the wall mount unit that is just bolted to a wooden A shaped frame with wheels on the bottom. Seems to work well enough. I hook mine up separately to all my tools. Just use the Rockler quick handle thing with the fittings on each tool. My collector is bolted to the wall but I use their collapsible hose and it goes to most of my garage.

I have a HF 2 hp DC that I don't move (though it can). I connected a Rockler Dust Right Expandable hose to it. If you get the Dust Right handle, it is easier to quick-connect to tools plus there's a clean-up 'wand' that's handy (if you call a 4" dia pipe a wand). Nice, too, that it collapses easily so it tends to be the minimum length, which also actually reduces the drag effect of the ribs inside. That hose can expand 7x its un-stretched length. Versions stretch to 14, 21 and 28 ft.

I should've known you'd know about that quick connect handle. I want to basically stop using my Shop Vac to vacuum the floors. Thanks Paul!!

I have the dust collector located where i can move the flex hose around to the different tools and connect with a quick disconnect. It's not the Rockler everyone else was talking about but the same concept. If i need a little extra hose i have the trash can separator strapped down to a small moving dolly.