Bahamian exotics?

Bombarde16

In Nassau for spring break and wondered if there might be anything unique I could add to my lignarium. Any hardwood dealers (I.e. not construction lumber) in or around Nassau that would be worth visiting? Any unique sorts of island-dwelling trees that a local merchant might have a line on? This would have to come back with me in a checked bag, so I'd be looking for smaller boards destined for inlays or other precious, decorative bits.

Sure the Internet will land you any number of online merchants who'll feed the habit until your bank account runs dry. I just thought it might make a nice souvenir and an interesting diversion from the usual tourist traps.

I went thru the Yellow Pages when I was in Hawaii on vacation years ago. Found a mill/ woodshop listed. They sold me scraps of curly Koa cheap! I made a suitcase sized package and wrapped it in cardboard (out of the dumpster). Labeled it and checked it as luggage on the way home. Not sure how TSA or the airlines would react these days? Didn't cost me a dime extra then.

Not sure about any Bahamas exotics, lots in Central American countries and some in Jamacia. Most of the trees I have seen on the smaller Caribbean islands have been pine/ fir types or small scraggly tropical brush. Could be some little known gems that a local woodworker might sell you.

The rest of the family thought I was nuts! They went to the beach that morning while I was buying wood. I still have a few blocks of the Koa waiting for the right project idea to pop into my head.

Enjoy your trip!

Turned out to be a bust on this trip. Found a few carvers who had rough blanks of Wild Tamarind. Pleasant looking wood but nothing spectacular (I could probably find something just as interesting in the firewood pile back in Illinois) and they wanted almost as much for a split log as for the finished carving.

As Steve pointed out, island trees tend to be smaller than the leviathans that one sees inland in Central or South America. Til next time...