Deadman Screw/Holdfast?

I think you are referring to the lee valley hold down at http://www.leevalley...59&cat=1,41637. I got one and they

look like they will work great

Thanks Kevmc. I ordered one. I also asked Vic what he was hearing about it that made him choose otherwise. Hopefully it will be fine, but if not, I'm hoping they may be able to do an exchange.

Just that is too slow of an adjustment for a quick holdfast. I love the one I referenced because it is very fast and versatile.

Thanks Vic. I hope to get it this week to see what works better. BTW, how do you like the tung oil finish? Would you finish it differently if you had to do it again? I'm looking forward to finishing my bench - you'll be able to see how I "quoted" you on some of the design details.

Thanks Vic. I hope to get it this week to see what works better. BTW, how do you like the tung oil finish? Would you finish it differently if you had to do it again? I'm looking forward to finishing my bench - you'll be able to see how I "quoted" you on some of the design details.

Allen, polymerized tung oil is by far my favorite finish. VERY easy to apply. You can build to a nice satin gloss or less. Easily repairable. That, of course, was the biggest consideration for the bench. I've been using Sutherland Wells, but am trying Waterlox Original next time. It looks to be very similar in make up. I look forward to seeing your bench. Quoted, huh!? cool!

==> I've been using Sutherland Wells, but am trying Waterlox Original next time.

I've got a bunch of SW hanging around my shop, so was planning on using some on my bench. When you use some Waterlox, can you post a report? I've been using SW exclusively, but would be interested in looking at other solutions.