Reclaimed Red oak Floor

Derwood

Hi guys,

I just came across about 600 bd ft of red oak flooring that has never been resanded and poly'd. Tongue and groove and the iron nails and all. I have a planer, also my house is all hardwood except for the shop, concrete. Can't put it over concrete as the moisture level etc...what the heck can I do with it now? Plane it and sell it? or, I'm just stumped here. Thanks in advance for suggestions. I had thought of an adirondack chair but I personally think they're fugly.

Derwood

Do you enjoy pulling nails and feeding wood into a planer? :( Undoubtedly, one can always make beautiful things out of found treasures; it's just not how I personally would want to spend my time.

600 bf is a lot of wood, but it's tough to get something usable out of TG flooring unless the boards are very wide. With normal flooring, once you rip off the width of the tongues and grooves, you're left with very narrow pieces of wood (well below the standard for FAS lumber) most of which have at least a little bow, twist, bend, or all of the above. At best, you can laminate these up to make butcherblocks or bowling alleys, such as the top in this corner table:

IMG_8668.JPG

But, frankly, life is too short. I vote you sell the boards as-is and be done with them.

I have as metal detector lol, feeding nails Into a planer, somebody here wrote something funny about a 60$ 2x4 lol, it's a good laugh, was it you Rob? :)

Duckisser, Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking picture frames or the likes. Hadn't thought of crafting with it. Thanks again.

Floorboard, I know what you mean and I would do that but then it would not be free anymore lol. I am not cheap, just frugal :) lol

Thanks guys!

Not a bad idea. Today I got my old wrought iron table out. Glass shattered eons ago. But now I am going to insert some...Red oak! Lol, I am clamping them now with the t@g lined right, with tite-bond. 3 lengths @ 48". I figure when they are ready I will clamp them all together into one peice and put on a peice of plywood and neat the edges up. Unless I should brace them. Not sure. Just confused myself here :)) .

Either way, thanks guys and when I am done in say 2027 I will post pictures :)) but seriously I will pos soon. Also made a cool bread box to match the red oak cabinets in my kitchen.

• 2 months later...