Small table

AlanWilley

I have just finished this small table in Oak for a customer.

DSCN2929.jpg

DSCN2927.jpg

It is a table for a laptop computer and made so it can be used sitting on the couch. The design is to match the other furniture in the room. the apron uses mitred tenons and the lower rails are straight tenons. The top and shelf are made with breadboard ends and are glued in the centre with screws in slotted holes at the outer ends. Top is held in place with buttons and the shelf with screws in slotted holes. It is finished in a clear 2K lacquer. Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

Your workmanship looks good and I like the little detail at the top of the legs. The finish looks nice too.

I realize that the table was made for a specific purpose and to match other furniture, but here are a few things that I would change for a stand-alone piece:

• Use a larger overhang. The minimal overhang looks awkward to me;
  • Reduce the mass of the legs. Perhaps a taper on the insides of the legs on the last 6 inches or so. Or maybe use the same step detail you used at the top at the bottom, but stretch it out;
  • Decrease the width of the lower rails; and
  • Position the shelf lower.