Safe T Planer

Xaromir

I once wrote Marc and he was so kind to reply and tell me what he thinks,

i found that very useful, gave me a new perspective, but since that it gives me no peace,

so i thought it would be a good idea to ask again here.

Let me first introduce the tool.

That's it:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Planes/Wagner_Safe-T-Planer.html

There is a demo by Robert O Brien, which usually also is a very knowledgeable person,

but he also practically sells the thing so i'm a bit reserved.

There also is that one guy that basically gone completely mad with that thing.

I hope it's ok if i quote the email i got from Marc as a starting point.

A very interesting tool. Not sure why they chose to call it the Safe T planer. It looks just as scary and dangerous as any other tool (and more so in some cases). Seems like it works as advertised. And from the demo, it looks like its a good idea to have two people using it. Not sure how often you have a second person at your disposal, but I generally don't. So that gives me a reason to be concerned. Also, I am curious how long you can go between sharpening. That's a lot to ask of that little unit to plane down a full board.

The final thing that concerns me is the damage it will likely do to your drill press. A drill press is intended to have pressure in a vertical direction only. Lateral forces never really come into play. With this gizmo, you are putting constant lateral pressure on the chuck, and consequently the shaft. I have to imagine that before long, you drill press will be completely out of whack.

So I don't mean to rain on the parade at all. Its an interesting product but I don't really know if I can recommend it.

Is there anyone that maybe can add to that?

There don't seem to be to many people that use it, so information is rare.

I've seen this tool before. I comes with a sharpening tool, I believe. I know it has 3 solid carbide cutters in the head and I really don't think that there is too much lateral pressure applied to the drill press. What you really have to be careful with is setting the depth of your cut.

That would be what we in the machining business would call a fly cutter; a wide head with carbide inserts, but we use them in heavy-duty mills at a relatively slow speed. It probably functions quite well when used right, and for very narrow pieces it probably works fine. I would be with Marc though in that it's definitely not the safest. You have spinning blades very little protection at all. Also remember that besides the fact that the press isn't designed for lateral forces, you will also probably get vibrations from the head and neck of the press, which will give you a rough finish.

I myself would stick with more traditional methods. This looks more like it was something that was designed to fill a need that isn't there.

That planer looks just like a cove cutting bit, but flat (hmm, so it would also be similar to a bowl-cutting bit). I don't like the idea of putting lateral pressure on my quill, but I also just have a bench drill-press.

Now, I have a drum sander and that's how I'd do what they are trying to do. But not everybody wants to fork out the money for a drum sander (which I think are way overpriced for what they are). If I was a Luther, I'd invest in a drum sander for modeling. Basically a drum sander the size of a toaster. I don't have a link cuz I can't remember the catalog I saw it in.

Baring that, though, a router on some rails could easily plane that stuff quickly and for just the cost of a planer or bowl-cutting bit (my preference). After looking at that video, I don't think the router method would be any slower.

If I was a Luther, I'd invest in a drum sander for modeling. Basically a drum sander the size of a toaster. I don't have a link cuz I can't remember the catalog I saw it in.

Are you talking about the sanding flee?

Sanding Flee

It's a pretty cute little unit, but it does seem a little overpriced for a table with a sanding dowel in it. That actually looks like a good medium-skill project to try to build.

Are you talking about the sanding flee?

Sanding Flee

It's a pretty cute little unit, but it does seem a little overpriced for a table with a sanding dowel in it. That actually looks like a good medium-skill project to try to build.

Heck no. I really don't see the value in that thing and certainly not the price (though I think there are some project plans out there for knock offs). It doesn't 'thickness' which is generally the most useful function of the drum sander for cleaning bandsawn veneers.

You're gonna make me look up the URL aren't ya...

Microlux Thickness Sander

Only handles 5" wide material, but I'm thinking a luther could live with that. Maybe. I believe there is a wider model from another brand. Exercise for the reader to find it. :)

I

Oh wow! Yeah, that's pretty sweet. And the price is actaully reasonable. I may have to get one of those myself. I probably couldn't build it for much less.

Cool, you'll have to tell me how you like it. I met a guy a couple times who builds RC model airplanes (between 3 and 15 feet long). I gave him my MicroMark catalog (ha ha, like a smaller Mark :lol:) and the next time I saw him, he said he blew a huge chunk of change there. Everything is perfect for making model planes. Even if you don't get the sander now, order the catalog. There are some gems in there, big time.

I

Cool, you'll have to tell me how you like it. I met a guy a couple times who builds RC model airplanes (between 3 and 15 feet long). I gave him my MicroMark catalog (ha ha, like a smaller Mark :lol:) and the next time I saw him, he said he blew a huge chunk of change there. Everything is perfect for making model planes. Even if you don't get the sander now, order the catalog. There are some gems in there, big time.

Definitely going to order the catalog tonight. I may end up not getting this though because the more I look at it, the more the machinist in me keeps saying "Aw, go on! You can build that!" I'll have to do a cost/time/fun analysis and see what I come up with. Either way I'll post results here.

• 4 weeks later...