Router Flattening Question

jschen

You fix three points of the four string locations, than adjust the fourth point to a point when the string just comes into contact with the other string at the x point. You can acheve the same thing useing winding sticks, the point is to take the twist out of your top I use the string method when installing french doors when setting the frame to the opening what you acheive is both doors come closed on the same plain.

You fix three points of the four string locations, than adjust the fourth point to a point when the string just comes into contact with the other string at the x point. You can acheve the same thing useing winding sticks, the point is to take the twist out of your top I use the string method when installing french doors when setting the frame to the opening what you acheive is both doors come closed on the same plain.

I think I understood that part of the video. What I'm wondering is where the screws the string in, do they all need to be at the same points? i.e. 1/2" from top, 1/2" from edge? Thanks!

Assuming you jointed and planed the side boards to be very square - no the attachment point of the string doesn't matter; it's the plane of the tops of those boards that is being represented by the string, and what really matters in this technique. Since wood is never "perfect", I place the string as close to the ends of the slabs/doors as possible to minimize any error.

Hope that helps...

Wallace Stegner wrote that "moving is worse than dying because you don't need to pack for the after life." We are in the middle of a move to North Carolina so I can confirm the quote. By the way Marc, you indicated that you ddin't regret not making the breakdown base for the bench because you could just remove the top and move it without any trouble. I did go the breakdown route in anticipation of this move and in the end, the movers just loaded it without taking anything apart. I could have followed your lead and saved myself some time. Oh well, live and learn.