dumb newbie question

jersey mike

I've done some metal turning. Wood turning is a lot different for these reasons. When cutting metal you have some control over the tool but not a whole lot. With wood you are the control of the tool. You determind the feed rate and transverse rate. You really feel what and how it is cutting. You will also feel when it's time to resharpen the tool. What maybe the most difference is when you get a catch with wood. You feel like, "WHAT DID I DO WRONG". To me wood turning is a lot more rewarding. Have a great Labor Day.

Phil Malavolta

NW Indiana

Yeah, wood turning is about feel instead of just measurements. It's mostly intuitive, but you have to think about things like grain direction and so on. don't be afraid of it though. I actually do it to relax. something I definitely don't do with the metal lathe. Watch a couple videos and read a beginner book or two or take a class and you should fall right into it. Just don't get the two mixed up! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

OK Jersey. , good question and never think that what ever you may ask is a dumb question. When I asked about buying a lathe I had comments from a lot of people. Everyone had there own opinion and every reply was appreciated. The nice thing is, is that nomatter what people may post or reply to it may help someone down the line by reading it. I think that when you stop asking questions you stop learning. Good luck with your turning because I'm still learning.

jaybird

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, for me there are 2 tyoes of turning 1.Bowl turning and 2.Spindle turning (between centres). I prefer the bowl turning as opposed to spindle turning components for other projects (OK i know that you can turn more than legs between centres), pens, baseball bats, chopsticks, tooth picks, anyway....if you do decide to buy a lathe the type of turning can detirmine what type of lathe you buy. if you buy a fixed head stock then the max diameter of bowl you can turn is detirmined by the distance between the drive centre and the bed; so bowl turners will generally have a lathe with a swivel head stock, a lathe that you can turn on the outside of, or a dedicated bowl lathe. but yes, iagree with mechanologist check out some videos - youtube is probably a good place to start. all the best

Don't feel you need to buy the biggest lathe to be able to do wood turning. Just like turning a handle out of plastic for a screwdriver you're doing at the shop, you can always put small stock in the big lathe. It's just overkill. To start wood turning, I'd recommend a bench lathe. The MINI or MIDI lathes are great for small projects, but don't allow for much else. (they're almost perfect for wooden handles for screwdrivers.)

One benefit of the wood lathe versus the metal lathe is you don't have to spray down the wood with oil to keep down the temperature. It might add for an interesting look on the wood, but I don't believe it's necessary.

You will also notice a large difference in the types of cutting tools between the two types of lathes. and to start in checking out some of the types (and different manufacturers), try this site: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/catalog?Args=

It's just an introduction, but it's a start.