Shop Lighting

TerryMcK

I have just done a quick experiment with a twin tube of the same rating wired with a long trailing cable to a plug. Moving the fixture around over the top of the table saw I have been able to fine tune its location and ensure that I don't end up working in my own shadow or being blinded by the glare.

I shall use that principal so I can tell the electrician when it comes to finalizing the layout.

The fixtures will be fixed to the ceiling using chains so I can alter the height but I don't want to have a bunch of holes in the ceiling of "failed" locations.

If anybody is doing their own shops I can really recommend the Visual software (see previous posts) but do try to make sure that you position the lights to suit your own layout. Everybodies shop will be different based upon lots of factors. Mine is very simple but you can get close to perfect by taking your time in positioning and fine tuning the fixtures.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a source of good task lighting fixtures? Maybe magnetic bases with high powered LEDs or similar that can be fixed onto the frame of a bandsaw or drill press. I've seen the Festool ones and they are a little too expensive for me.

Terry,

LED lighting has come down quite a bit in price over the last year and I expect it to come down further over the next year. But, unfortunately, a specialty fixture like a task light is going to be rather large. I would recommend these old style swing arms. http://www.lampsontheweb.com/LampsandLighting/TableandFloorLamps/TableLampsandDeskLamps/ChromeSwingArmIClampOnLamp.html

I have mine on french cleat mounts and can move around to various locations that way. I currently use a high kelvin CFL, but will probably switch to a LED PAR lamp. These are getting quite affordable. http://www.lowes.com/pd_119680-3-78605_4294935558+5003702_4294937087?productId=3110471

A typical 4 lamp commercial T8 fixture will fit nicely between a 2' OC truss configuration. Just cut the hole and install the fixture. Just be sure to air seal and properly insulate after installation. The only reason I didn't do that is because I have 10' ceilings and I'm lazy.

(null)

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one properly seal a T8 fixture?

Ah, the swing arm lamp. One of my favorites. I especially like the type that has an integrated magnifying lens.

Look for the type that has a half inch or so "stem" that fits into the mounting clamp. In an effort to save space, I drilled a series of half inch holes in my bench, and I can move the light to wherever I need it...

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one properly seal a T8 fixture?

Pug,

In the case of a commercial fixture like I have, there are quite a few holes (slot type) and then the electrical knock outs. I would just used a polymerized caulk or, if you're doing a bunch, foam. Caulk will work best on the seams, which I would've caulked if I had mounted them flush. Also, I would caulk the perimeter of the fixture to the ceiling. The reason for this is the stack effect. There is quite a bit of pressure that high in the room for heat to go into the attic. In the summer when the attic is really hot, the stack effect isn't in play, but the delta between the attic and the interior is really big and will drive the heat into the interior. Air sealing is pretty straight forward, just address anywhere there is a potential for air leakage. If you are dealing with can lights, be sure they are rated for direct contact to insulation, or you will need to build a box around the top. I like to see those made from, either blue board or polyiso panels that are glued together and to the attic side of the ceiling with foam adhesive.

• Like 1

The style is pretty basic. A lot of the light will be bounce light from reflective surfaces, which can be a good thing. Without the spec sheets, I can't comment on the ballast(s).

Also, those won't be a flush mount application, so air sealing will just consist of the electric pig tail hole being sealed.

(null)

Is there any lighting options that are solar powered that you would recommend? (I ask because the shop does not have power. I need to run an extension cord out the front door to operate any particular tool, and I don't want to overload wiring or the fuse...; because it is a fuse and not a circuit breaker. They're getting harder to find.)

Well, I know you can run regular incandescent lamps on DC. I can ask around about fluorescent. I'm assuming you mean for the evenings. The big thing is cost for a solar set up, especially when you introduce battery storage. Deep cells are not cheap.

I did some light digging and found several references to fluorescent fixture that run on DC. I'll see if the high output ones I generally see can do the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy folks. Greetings from my mountain manner. Arrived Saturday to my log cabin and I definetly need to add lighting to my garage shop. The garage is about 1200 SqFt.

I will end up buying whatever they have in the Ace Hardware store in Gunnison, CO. Otherwise I have to drive 70 miles one way to Montrose, CO ...

One has to be flexible.

Well, I know you can run regular incandescent lamps on DC. I can ask around about fluorescent. I'm assuming you mean for the evenings. The big thing is cost for a solar set up, especially when you introduce battery storage. Deep cells are not cheap.

I did some light digging and found several references to fluorescent fixture that run on DC. I'll see if the high output ones I generally see can do the same.

I appreciate this.... I'm actually thinking for both evening and day usage. The daytime usage would simply be because I have the lathe inside the shop, which has a north east facing doorway under an overhang. not that there isn't light, but I need task lighting big time. Evening, well, that's self explanatory. Good news is that I should be able to get away with just one fixture...

My approach to lighting was always a bit disorganized. When it is dark I go to the store and buy more fixtures. I just spent $ 160.00 more or less on four T8 fixtures at Ace Fullmers in Gunnison CO ... This will be an enormous improvement over my crappy four light bulbs I had until now. When this lighting situation will not be enough I will probably double up. For now the difference will be night and day. :):D

My twin tube T8 fixtures have arrived and are in the office with the tubes. I can't wait until they are installed as, like Bobby says, they will make a vast improvement. But I have to wait until all the building work has finished. Shop rebuilds seem to take an age to do. Unfortunately the builder I have engaged can't start until late September but fortunately his work will only take about 2 weeks.