Hemlock

lighthearted

I bought rough lumber today to start a new project. I am building both my children loft beds.

Given the project I decided to simply go with pine. I got the bulk of what I needed, but they did not have pine 4x4 posts, which I intended to use for the uprights. The guy at the yard directed me to 4x4 Hemlock posts that he had in 8 foot lengths. He said the price was the same, so I made the amateur mistake of saying "ok". I loaded up my trailer with pieces and headed home.

I rough milled the boards tonight, to let them acclimate in the shop. I have never worked with Hemlock before and I found these pieces (dry) weigh a ton. No comparison to light weight pine or even douglas fur. I am not sure these are right for a bedroom set. They are monsters!

thoughts? I feel like I should save them for the garden shed my wife keeps asking for....

thanks!

find a miller you trust a good repitable miller will know when the wood was cut and stacked. when i doubt I have the miller do a moistur reading. i say call them up and ask if all there wood is completly dry before selling. if they sey yes then you can drop the bomb and see what they say. dont be afraid to push them a bit. you might get a discount later or some freebees. but dont alienate them because some day you will need to buy lumber from them again. and if need be when at the store ask them to cut the end off a large board and test it in front of you.

when ever i get anything big i always put the date on them for example when i bought a large turning blank. and i dont know when im going to use i write the date on it. if i need something big right now then i buy some extra to test with a moisture meter. then i can take back and show that there product was not ready to be purchased.