Rewiring for 220v

Froglips

I am wondering how one can determine if a power tool can be rewired for 220v. My new shop is turning out to be a bit more amperage limited than I had hoped. My electrician has told me that 220v equipment draws half the amps of 110v. I understand Ohm's Law so that makes sense but it does seem like I am getting something for nothing. Nevertheless, I wonder if any of my power tools could be switched over to 220v and how I would determine this.

Thanks!

If you can switch over to 220v it will state that in your owners manual. If you were useing every tool in your shop at once than you would exceed your amp limit of your electrical panel, but usually your only going to use one tool at a time unless your going to use dust collection at the same time. Even your house electrical panel could possibly exceed the amp limits. But you seldom ever exceed that limit because you will never have every burner on your stove going, oven, dishwasher, microwave, all the lights going, and all the wall recepticles maxed out. If for some reson this occurred that whats the main breaker is for, as it would trip and stop you from causeing an electrical fire.

• Like 1

I hope you're asking about your stationary tools such as jointer, tablesaw, planer, etc... Your corded tools such as drills and circular saws can not be rewired for 220v. But your stationary tools can be if the motors are dual voltage rated. On the nameplate of the motor, you will see a line for voltage. If dual rated, it will say something like 110-208/220. In that case, you can change the motor connection inside the terminal box to accomodate 220v.

==> So my anser would have to be if your not confident in your ablities hire an electrician.

also a matter of available info. while motors are "supposed" to have wiring diagrams, some don't. Sometimes mfgs are also reticent to provide wiring diagrams. I had one mfg refuse to provide me M-switch/CI wiring info unless I could provide them with an electrician's license number... The long and short of it is that it is really not that difficult, but make sure you have the info you need and not guess...

At any rate, it doesn't hurt to research this topic even if you decide to hire an electrician. I went through something somewhat similar recently, and although it turned out to be ridiculously simple in the end and I was probably overthinking things to a degree, learned a ton about electricity and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable converting one of my (convertable) 120v machines to 220v in the future. (But they work fine, so why fix what's broken, yada yada.)