Are W-9 forms necessary?

JohnnyNoName

Here's a first for me. I was asked by a woman that works for a potential client (a large corporation) if I can provide a W-9 for my work. Is a W-9 necessary for custom furniture? Aren't they buying the furniture and not my service?

Any information or adive in this area would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jonathan

===========================================

If they are required to file a 1099 to the IRS for moneys paid to you they can require the W-9 to get your tax ID information. It could just be standard accounting practice at the big corp to request a W-9 for anyone they are making a lagre (over $1,000) payment to. A lot depends on the nature of the contract you're discussing with them - are the labor charges being bill seperatly or is it just one number for a piece of furniture.

A call to your account would be in order to be sure your situation requires it but you could risk losing the sale if you refuse to provide the information.

A lot depends on the nature of the contract you're discussing with them - are the labor charges being bill seperatly or is it just one number for a piece of furniture.

A call to your account would be in order to be sure your situation requires it but you could risk losing the sale if you refuse to provide the information.

It is just going to be for one peice of furniture. I talked to my accountant, and it's not big deal. I'm just surprised by it. I could understand if there was an installation charge, but it sounds like overkill for just a piece of furniture.

Jonathan

========================================

It is just going to be for one peice of furniture. I talked to my accountant, and it's not big deal. I'm just surprised by it. I could understand if there was an installation charge, but it sounds like overkill for just a piece of furniture.

Jonathan

========================================

You know the saying. "Hello, I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

==> Is a W-9 necessary for custom furniture?

probably not for a small 'one off', but if it's $100K run of millwork or a 'one-off' every month, then that's another story. On the flip side, there is a rule change now on-the-books (accompanied with sketchy enforcement guidelines) that does require this sort of thing even for small jobs. Will anyone really care (or enforce it) remains to be seen...

I asked a person in my company's account department and they said they require a W-9 for any individual they are paying more than $1000 to - doesn't matter for what, services, goods, etc.

Past account fraud, IRS rules, investor lawsuits have all worked to make many big corps just plain paranoid about their paper trails.