What could replace a T-track on a jig?

Sylvain Ward

I'm trying to build a finger joint jig (the one in the last shop note magazine) and i need a T-track to secure the keys on top of the jig.

I've looked everywhere but i can't find a T-track anywhere and i don't want to pay 50$ for shipping a 10$ piece of metal in canada.

So I was wondering if anyone as a suggestion for anything that would do the job?

At this point i'm probably just gonna screw the keys in the jig for a temporary solution.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also rout a simple straight groove in the top of the fence, and make an expanding key.

The key is simply a piece of wood that fits into the groove, with countersunk flat head machine screw coming up from the bottom. Slit the end of the key from one end of the key to the screw hole. As you tighten the nut from above, the back of the screw head is pulled deeper into the sloped-sided countersunk hole, spreading the sides of the key at the end you slit.

The nut can be a plastic knob nut, for tool-free operation. Use a washer between the knob or nut, and the device you are securing.

Everything you need is in the hardware aisle of any home center or hardware store. OK... you might need two aisles if you don't own a countersink bit... :D

Here's a commercial version from Rockler 26993-01-500.jpg

In this case, the center of each metal key spreads, pushing against the side of the slot. No tee slot needed...