wood bangle with light blue inlay

duckkisser

been thinking of making some bracelets and i started with a bangle. well here it is. i used black oak and a light blue sand for the inlay. by the way i didnt know how to size em so i made it 3.5 inchest across.....that huge by the way it falls off most women and men. but it fits me because i have huge hands and arms (again as in earler posting i have hary arms :))

here is earler video on how to make bracelets and a picure of my failureDSCN0192.jpgworking on expandable bracelet

DSCN0193.jpg

havent done inlace because it cost money..........but the sand works well i would rather look around and find stuff that most people would not think of for inlay like i used the dust from my grinder (that was hard to sand). when i get done the bands were black but the highlights were silver. someone is saposed to send me some mamoth dust from there bone carving which i think would be a realy cool inlay. plus i want to use colored glass, and stones. plus for the same cost of the inlace i have enough sand to last me a life time.

Duck,

You might want to consider selling your rings and bangles in gift shops and farmer's markets around Lake Michigan. You could inlay them with locally gathered sand or crushed stone so that they would be a vacation souvenir. I bought a glass orb from an artist at a farmer's market in Gloucester, MA. He made his clear colorless glass really special to me by adding in a bit of local sand that swirled in neat patterns. He upped the value by also having bubble inclusions as well as a bit of copper. If you do yours with local wood, esp. if it is from trees that had to come down, i.e. not cut for this purpose, that would make them even more desirable. Indiana and Michigan Dunes come to mind for me as places to sell, Door County, Wisconsin too. Heck, you could even inlay bowls, platters, anything! People like local stuff and too much of the merchandise at these places are made in China!

Cindy

i plan on branching out right now i make few and sell at a music festival every year when i get enought stock i plan on moving to other festival and sales. as is the one sale makes me enough to keep me in sand paper and glue ect.... all year. i figure by that time i will be good enough to batch these out and have no flaws. like the bracelet there there is a couple of spots where sawdust got into the blue or where the color is faded there is one spot where wood fibers got glued across the inlay so when you look at it. the apearence is that its hairy. but ill keep that in mind a friend of my brothers offered to sell in her shop for consighnment so i might go that route during the winter months who know i might make a buck or two.

cindy i think the last post that i saw on here you were saying were going to buy a lathe for home rather then use the one at the school. did you get around to buying one?