Bonehead move...

Eric.

I was so excited to get the finish on my bench, I forgot to put the suede on my leg vise first. So now it's all oily and I'm sure I'll have problems getting adhesives to stick. I'm a little skeptical about sanding back to raw wood because I think the oil probably penetrated so deep that I'd end up with a hollow on the front laminate and/or the inside of the chop.

You guys have any ideas? Any kind of glue that may work regardless of the oil? Superglue? Even that would probably struggle to bond, ya think?

DAP gel contact cement - a lit'l dab 'l do ya!!!!

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Most agree that contact cement is the best adhesive. Some thoughts have gone into water-based or solvent-based with solvent-based gaining the edge to to the potential for water discoloration of the suede.

Benchcrafted recommends contact cement because when the day comes for replacing the suede, you'll be scraping the whole thing off, cleaning the vise surface and adhering the new suede.

And don't hesitate to hit the inside surface of the vise with a little shallec or lacquer. That should effectively seal away the oils even if they aren't 100% cured. Not that it's going to make a huge difference with contact cement, but if you were still concerned about it.....

And don't hesitate to hit the inside surface of the vise with a little shallec or lacquer. That should effectively seal away the oils even if they aren't 100% cured. Not that it's going to make a huge difference with contact cement, but if you were still concerned about it.....

Right on, I'll do that! Just been twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the oil to dry. Tick, tick, tick.