Studly frames

Bombarde16

After a Roubo workbench, a tower to store shoes, a giant playhouse, a new base for the table saw, a 10' long desk for my office and more campfires than I can count, I'm finally coming to the end of the pile of construction lumber that I salvaged from a downed outbuilding. The last few scraps are becoming a run of picture frames for all the Jackson Pollock craziness that our toddler produced when she was two.

0915121331a.jpg

Apart from the Sapele stringing (again, using up garbage) it's nothing too fancy. A broad roundover runs on the inside and the outside will be coved on the table saw once everything is assembled. The finished profile will look like this.

Untitled.jpg

One trick to share: Given how miserable it is to sand and clean glue from the inside of a mitered profile, I had the brain wave to mask the stock before cutting the miters.

0915121331.jpg

This leaves the stock perfectly masked during assembly and makes cleanup a lot faster.

0915121331b.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, your little girl is GOOD!!!

Lines like that are likely to get you chased out of town with a shotgun... ;)

Used the weekend to finish gluing up the frames. As usual, biscuits did yeoman service coaxing non-straight wood into straight joints. The trick with the tape and the miters was a qualified success: I still had a few fragments of tape that had to be excavated with a careful chisel. Not nearly as bad as having glue residue on an inside corner, mind you. But still, something that needed to be cleaned up...especially since the tape in question is bright blue. (Next time, I'll use the cheaper beige tape.)

Used the last bits of quiet time this evening to do the rough setup for the outer cove cuts. I know there are systems to get coves dialed in faster, but I still haven't gotten there and I don't do them often enough for it to be a handicap.

With apologies to Robert Burns and John Steinbeck:

But little frame, you are alone, thus proving foresight is in vain:

The best laid schemes of woodworking men go oft'awry,

And leave us naught but grief and pain, for promised joy!

0921122029.jpg

I got as far as assembling seven of these frames and got all the coves cut, then things just got bogged down. Getting all the saw marks out of those curves demanded an endless supply of 60 grit, elbow grease and time...all things I don't have enough of. A really good gooseneck scraper, or perhaps a custom sanding block might have saved my bacon here, but I decided to drop back and punt: I picked one frame (corresponding to one of the pieces that would stand well enough alone) and decided to carry that one into the end zone. The other six frames (and corresponding artwork) will have to wait for another day.

Once out of the really rough papers, things moved quickly enough up to 180 and this lone frame is now sitting with its first coat of oil. 48 hours from now, it needs to be gift wrapped.

Ack.