Woodpecker 6" wrap square

wdwerker

I bought one of Woodpeckers one time tools at the IWF this summer. 6" wrap layout tool has a 3/4" leg to let you mark the top and side of a board. The middle of the tool is full of holes every 1/32 to draw lines down the edge of a board. You put a mechanical pencil in the hole and it let's you mark accurate lines very quickly down the length of a board.

It has become an instant favorite layout tool. I used to set several small squares for repeat marking of specific lengths . Now I just have to pay close attention to which hole I put the pencil in.

I have had one of Veritas wrap squares for ages but this one is much more versitle .

I think it has added a greater accuracy and speed to my layout work. It also kinda forced me to start carrying and using a mechanical pencil which I hated in the past. Using a side click Pentel now , anyone got a favorite .05mm pencil to reccomend?

• Like 1

I have a set of all 4 of these plus one extra .05 (black) pencil that I purchased when I was in architecture school in 1994. They all still work. The .05 travels with me in my soft briefcase and still functions today as well as when I first bought it. Most of the workings in these pencils is metal and made by a company that's been known for drafting equipment for decades. I think that's why.

• 5 months later...

Added the 4" version to my collection when I went to " The Woodworking Show" in Atlanta last weekend. The inside layout of the holes and how the scale is marked is better, easier to follow and pick the right hole for your line. I found some places where the 6" version was too long to fit in when marking some of the weird or complex shaped projects I like to tackle. It also fits in your pocket a bit easier which really helps on job sites doing installations.

I got to play with the Paolini pocket rule as well. Easy to read 1/32 scale , adjustable stop for copying and transferring a measurement and it can double as a stand to hold the rule on edge. Small enough to fit in your pocket but it has a nice thickness that should hold up well. I ordered one and will post more when it shows up sometime this summer.

I use regular Pentel mechanical pencils, and have been for years.   .5 and .7 in the shop, and .9 on my flying kneeboard.    Art stores, like Dick Blick, sell a wide selection of leads, including colors, that work great in the Pentel pencils.

I have these saddle squares, as well as the Paolini rule, and I like them.  I don't use the rule as much as the squares, not a knock on the ruler, simply because of my personal habits with a 6" combo square. 

It sounds like I'm going to have to check out those Woodpecker squares. I love using a mechanical pencil, and I usually use the pentel side click as well. However, I usually buy them in the bulk pack because I either wear out the plastic parts inside, or break off the shirt pocket clip. The pencils that Jay recommended are much better and you won't have to worry about wearing them out. Someone will take it first.

Costco has a bulk pack of the .07 mm Pentel side clicks cheap!

I am amazed at how fast I can draw a center line 27/32 from the edge of a board and then another line at 15/32, drill some pilot holes and everything lines up perfectly. Some of the tools Woodpecker makes just aren't a need or value to my situation , but these squares are so versital , quick to use and add a level of accuracy to my work almost every day.