Woodtek 10" Midi Lathe

Mike M

I keep running across the need to do some small turnings in the course of my woodworking projects. Mostly I'll be turning stuff like knobs and tool handles and will probably try my hand at a few small bowls.

Woodworkers Supply sells this midi lathe and includes a Nova midi chuck for under $300. The price seems low and am wondering if this is a reasonable tool or would I be better off stepping up to a more expensive model?

Anyone out there that has or has used this lathe? Comments would be appreciated.

That lathe will get you started, but if you ware wanting to turn bowls, you will find it limiting real quick. One thing to keep in mind with turning, is that the expense isn't the lathe, but rather all the tools and accessories that go with it. What I would recommend is finding a lathe that has variable speed with at least 12" of swing. Both Jet and Delta have a midi lathe with these specs. I personally have the Delta (46-460), and have found it to be very good lathe.

i agree with mike the delta is a good medium lathe i can turn up to 11 inches and after i got the extension i can make a 3 foot turning from head to tail. it has a good variable speed so that i can slow it way down for unbalanced turnings or go fast for small spindles. if you get a larger lathe you can make small stuff but if you get a small lathe you cant make large turnings. right now you just want to make some small stuff like knobs but you might want to some day make a larger platter for your wife.