Jet Tenoning Jig

Keith Gallagher

Hi all. I am a first time poster here but hope to spend many evenings here talking wood with fellow woodworkers. I am from Ireland and I am looking to get the mentioned item for my Jet tablesaw. The problem is for some reason they can not be shipped to my address. Is there anything about why that is? Is it because of Health and Safety regulations here or what could it be? I am also looking at getting a longer spindle for my saw for dado blades but I think this may be the same problem as the jig, not allowed on this side of the pond. Anybody got any ideas?

I think I remember reading that there's a safety reg in (parts of?) Europe that says that tables saws must have a riving knife, the knife canot be removed for any reason, therefor non-through cuts can't be done on a table saw, therefor dados are not permitted. I guess they figure if you do dados, you'll remove the riving knife to do the dados, and forget to put it back.

Like that would ever really happen ;)

Article related to European saws versus American saws

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/what_you_dont_know_about_european_saws

A relevant paragraph from that article:

"Dado Cutting

We have come to expect dado-cutting capacity on U.S. table saws, and so our saws offer arbors that can accept the standard 1 3/16″ stacked dado. Dado cutting is in reality a shaping cut and European standards prohibit dado cutting on table saws based on the belief that it can be a dangerous operation because it is difficult to guard. It is better done with a shaper or router. Because the U.S. market has become used to having dado capacity on table saws European saws that are marketed in the U.S. now have adapted these saws for dado cutting and now offer this feature to the U.S. market."

Thanks guys. I was looking at getting it for some of my projects. The reason I wanted to get the tenoning jig is because it looks like a great piece of kit and can be used to form angled tenons quickly and easily. I'll see if there is a workaround. I am a hobbiest woodworker and turner so the only person that will be using the tablesaw and machines will be myself.

You can build a tenoning jig for your saw that straddles the fence I've used one for years here is a link on how to build one http://www.highlandw...awtenonjig.aspx it's a very handy jig and could be made out of scraps.

Thanks Higtron. I am about to build a crosscut sled and I'll build one of these also and try it out.

Keith, my humorous response is that you guys in Ireland don't have addresses! Summer before last, my family and I spent almost two weeks driving around Ireland (Northern and Republic -- loved it). We made a big deal about getting our defective GPS unit replaced two days in and once we did, we realized we could not plug in street addresses. Fortunately a number of our stops (B&Bs) provided latitude and longitude. After a frustrating search for our B&B in Cashel, I asked the owner if they had a street address -- she looked at me dumbfounded and said why, no I don't believe so....