Advice on new tools

JoeWV

Hi I'm new to the community and have a few questions about tool purchases. I've got 500 to spend to upgrade my tools. I have all the basic floor tools, including a jointer(6") and a planer(12"). Most tools are delta.

I want to take my skills to the next level. I don't have a shoulder plane or a high end Dado stack, nor a track saw, or anything festool. What would you suggest? Do I need this stuff? I do plan on doing some cabinetry for my house and thought the track saw would be a good addition. But maybe some hand tools to clean up my jointery.

Thanks

Joe

If you've got all the basics, then you should probably just sit on that money until a project requires it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to go out and buy something you think you might need just to find out when you start the next project that what you really needed was something else.

If the goal is to take your skills to the next level, then you should probably be asking "what project will challenge me to learn a new skill?" Once you've decided on the project, then decide if you need something you don't have. That way it's an investment.

Also, don't forget that once you start getting into this, the cost of the wood itself starts to add up. A decent sized piece of furniture can eat through $500 in no time.

I know that's not as much fun as running to the tool store to go shopping, but it is much more rewarding in the end.

If you've got all the basics, then you should probably just sit on that money until a project requires it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to go out and buy something you think you might need just to find out when you start the next project that what you really needed was something else.

If the goal is to take your skills to the next level, then you should probably be asking "what project will challenge me to learn a new skill?" Once you've decided on the project, then decide if you need something you don't have. That way it's an investment.

Also, don't forget that once you start getting into this, the cost of the wood itself starts to add up. A decent sized piece of furniture can eat through $500 in no time.

I know that's not as much fun as running to the tool store to go shopping, but it is much more rewarding in the end.

I agree. I started out with the basics. Small projects to start helped greatly. Use the tools you have to start. Then as you pick a project you slowly add to your tool collection when you can. I try to make my own jigs out of scraps of wood left over from other projects. Take one day at a time. Don't get overwhelmed.If you follow along on the site and with Marc, you'll do fine. Help is only a forum away. Everyone here helps each other. Good luck :)

I would suggest most of the things posted above. Buying a tool should be because it is going to make the required work on a project not only easier, but more precise. When buying the tool, buy the best you can afford. The tool is only as good as the person using it, therefor developing the skills will make the tool seem more efficient, but it is you who is getting better at the given task.

The way i'm approaching things (im new as well)....

i started with the basics - table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, dust collector, router.

Now i'm going to approach it via project. If i want get started on a certain project and i need to new tool to make that go more smoothly/easily then i'll pick it up.

Oh, just repeating what the others said: let the project dictate which tools you consider. Now I'll fully admit that I've subconsciously planned parts of a project to justify a particular tool. Yup, been there, done that.

I try to have a policy with tools that I don't buy something to 'collect' it meaning leaving it unused. So buy when you need it and make sure it gets used.

Another way to look at the tool situation comes to mind. Christmas or Hanukkah is not all that far off, make a list now and post it in a conspicous place. (Mixed marriage, we celebrate both) Great way to get the accessories. I got a new table saw and a jointer the same year. A new planer the following year. Let me see, what would I like to get this year...................

Buy some nice wood and build something with those tools you have already! :)

Already done. I've built shaker style benches, mirror frames, a porch swing, work table (my first tenons), jewelry boxes, shop cabinets, etc. I'm really looking to move my skills into the fine furniture realm. I think vie done ok up to now, but nothing is really what I would call great.

....I want to take my skills to the next level. I don't have a shoulder plane or a high end Dado stack, nor a track saw, or anything festool. What would you suggest? Do I need this stuff? I do plan on doing some cabinetry for my house and thought the track saw would be a good addition. But maybe some hand tools to clean up my jointery.

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

Spending $500, or a thousand or ten thousand on tools won't do a damned thing for taking your skills to the next level. Building stuff will. And that's the ONLY thing that will, IMHO.

The fact that you're posting on an Internet forum asking this question indicates to me that you equate tools(or money) with skill. Actually, it's the other way around: It takes skill in the craft to know what's limiting your ability to produce the results you want. Once you realize that the lack of a particular tool is holding you back, you go buy that tool, simple as that. If you don't know if you need it, you probably don't.... IMHO, you'd be better off going on a spending spree at your local wood dealer, at least you'd end up with something that might be useful in the long run.

Don't feel bad, if you spend enough time practicing the art you'll be able to look back and see for yourself. It's hard to resist the siren's call of the "Latest and Greatest Tool Ever to be Invented, Buy One Now and You'll Be the Next James Krenov"...... The hucksters conveniently forget to point out that Krenov had a bandsaw, a jointer, a planer and a bunch of hand tools and he managed to produce his astonishing work in spite of his lack of a shop full of the "Latest and Greatest Endorsed by Norm Abrams" stuff.... Any of us who've practiced the art for a substantial amount of time have drawers full of that stuff, things we thought we couldn't live without and quickly found we could. Been there, done that, got a closet-full of T-shirts, hate to see anyone go through that but human nature being what it is......

What I'm trying to get across is that if you've had enough time in the craft to know that you need particular tool, you know that already. Why ask?

Just go buy some wood and build something, ferCrissakes! If you need another tool you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Just my $.02 worth,

Bill