ADVICE NEEDED!!!! JET OR GRIZZLY??? HELP

elimelech12

ok...i've decided to upgrade my 6 inch ridgid jointer to either the JET 12" jointer/planer combo or the Grizzly G0706 12"

does anyone here have either?

I'm so undecided!!!! I like the longer fence on the jet, but I eventually want a larger planer!

And the grizzly is perfect for my garage with spiral cutters, but a little more pricey!!!

Must decide soon because there is a sale on both and they end on the same date (9/25)

I have a 10" Rikon J/P combo machine. Between the Grizzly and the Jet, I'd go with the Jet because of the blade guard. The sliding blade guard that the Jet has is way better than the pork chop blade guard that the Grizzly has. My J/P combo has a similar sliding blade guard, and I just love it.

I was looking into these about a year ago and the one thing about the Jet I didn't like was that it did not have quick change knives. The Grizzly seems like a better option in that category, but that is a whole lot of tiny little cutters. I did read somewhere that there was a problem with the fence on the Jet and its adjust-ability, but I can't remember where, maybe on Amazon. Here is a link to another that is on sale and I had a look over it at the IWF show and it has quick change knives too. Good luck

http://www.felderusaonline.com/ultimate_guide/A331/A331%20Ultimate%20Guide%20Master.swf

Just an FYI, those little square knives on the helical head are a snap to turn and to replace. They're indexed, so no more messing with knives to get them just right! Like I said, I LOVE it!

Vic, have you had any problems with finding nicks in the knives or with the knives holding up. Seems like a good theory and you do have 4 sides to the cutters.

Vic, have you had any problems with finding nicks in the knives or with the knives holding up. Seems like a good theory and you do have 4 sides to the cutters.

No, I have not noticed any nicks and have run quite a bit through without rotating the knives and am still getting very nice results.

ok...i've decided to upgrade my 6 inch ridgid jointer to either the JET 12" jointer/planer combo or the Grizzly G0706 12"

I have a rule against buying Jet's stuff. I bought their low end dust collector last year, and they discontinued it, which is fine... but they also discontinued the damn replaceable filters. It might be minor, but it chafes me a lot, and I have a ton of other choices out there.

I don't have that particular planer, but my Grizzly snipes very little and runs very well.

wow that sux...i looked at reviews all over the net and found found that people who have it...love it!

Also, this one has been around at least 3 years and I doubt they'll discontinue anytime soon because of all the Euro features, +if they ever do, I buy the byrd blades of grizzly for it!

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone here have either?

I'm so undecided!!!! I like the longer fence on the jet, but I eventually want a larger planer!

And the grizzly is perfect for my garage with spiral cutters, but a little more pricey!!!

Must decide soon because there is a sale on both and they end on the same date (9/25)

I don't know about those two units, but my experiences with Grizzly sales and support have always been 100% satisfaction, and I haven't heard any less than that on the Internet, either.