Rough cut wood

DesmondPringle

The dimensions in the plan are the final size. It's often difficult to get clean accurate cuts when dealing with large sheets of material, so we often cut out the pieces roughly first, staying a quarter inch or a centimeter outside the lines. Then we can take the smaller pieces and cut them to the exact dimensions.

I will rip a sheet about an 1/8 to 1/4 wider than what I need, turn it around and rip 1/16 off the factory edge, turn it around again and rip it to the final width. Then I start cross cutting, first piece is 1/8 longer than needed, turn it around and trim to exact length .

If I was using a crosscut sled I might try to make the first crosscut somewhere in the middle and then cut accurate parts from there.

I have an Excalibur sliding table crosscut saw that will cut a 63" wide panel. It crosscuts up to 43" with ease, the wider cuts take some special set up.

As others have said, your first cut into a sheet of plywood likely won't be your final dimension. If you need pieces that are 18 inches wide, perhaps you set the fence at 18 1/4" for the first cut. Then you can come back and get it dead on when the stock isn't so huge. But there's more: Breaking down a sheet of plywood is also a matter of planning your cuts so that pieces with similar dimensions (say, a run of drawer sides or shelves) all get cut at the same time without having to reset the saw.