spindle with thru hole

trz

If you were to turn a spindle that you wanted to end up 18 inches long by about 1 inch across the thickest part and maybe 5/8s at it's smallest and you want a hole all the way thru the center of the spindle, would you bore the hole first and then trun the spindle or turn the spindle first and then bore the hole (somehow)?

With the hole in place (so to speak), you have a different range of tail stocks you could use to assure it remains centered. I've drilled enough pen blanks to know that no matter how careful you are, you can still drill at a slight angle, and at 18" even half of 1 degree is going to be a big deal.

So, being new at turning i'm trying to figure the best way to do this.   I was thinking bore first turn second.   Doing it that way I figure there's a couple of ways to mount it for turning.   I could chuck one end in a four jaw chuck on the headstock but how would i hold it on the tail stock?   Or, I could cut and glue some short plugs in the ends and then mount using a spur bit on the headstock and live center in the tailstock.   If anyone has a more efficient or better way of doing this I would sure appreciate the help, as i said I'm new to turning.   I will probably play around and try some different methods but, i would sure like some input.   Thanks.

Thanks Cindy for the input the cone is a good idea i think.   How am I going to bore the hole?   Good question , I'm still working on that. Assuming I'll do it on my drill press some how.    Now you got me thinking , do I really need it to go 'all' the way thru, and maybe I don't I'll have to do some more research on my project to see exactly how deep it really 'needs' to go.

• 4 months later...

Cut your blank - say 2x2x22...X the ends to find the center of the blank.....chuck it in the 4 jaw on the headstock and from the tail stock, drill the end with a brad point bit which will keep it from wandering but they only go so deep. Do this on both ends. When you've drilled as deeply as it will go on each end, the path of the hole is established. Then un-chuck it and hand drill the rest to make the holes meet.  I have a Irwin metal drill bit - I think it's 1/4 x 12" long - use something like this. The rechuck and like Cindy said, use a cone live center and turn away.