router table top recomendations

Beechwood Chip

I'm building a router table, and I was thinking of a melamine top. I figured that would be nice and slippery, but I'm worried about chipping when I cut the opening for the router plate, and the dadoes for the T-track. After watching Marc's inlay video, I was thinking of scoring the outline first with a knife, then using a Dremel and "sexy-specs" to remove the material up to the line, and finally using a plunge router to square up the cut and hog out the rest of the material.

Is there a better way? Or, does anyone recommend a different material for the router top? I suppose I could go with plywood or MDF with a nice smooth finish.

Is there a better way? Or, does anyone recommend a different material for the router top? I suppose I could go with plywood or MDF with a nice smooth finish.

I'd recommend High pressure Laminate (Formica), over MDF, as you will be able to get both at any borg. No need to worry about chipping, as just about any router bit will do. This is my top, 3 layers of 3/4" MDF, Formica top and bottom.

I'll second the 2 (2 should be thick enough at 1.5") layers of MDF with laminate on top and bottom (you want to evenly seal the MDF for humidity reasons) - as long as it's all glued and laminated properly you shouldn't have any chipouts when routing that opening for the insert plate

Cool! Thanks.

Contact cement to bond the MDF with the laminate? Or can I buy the MDF pre-laminated?

Why the odd shaped opening? I was just planning to have a rectangular hole the same shape as the plate, just smaller. Jessem will sell me a template to match my Mast-R-Lift, but I didn't think it was worth the money.

Thanks for all the help.

--- Chip

Contact cement to bond the MDF with the laminate? Or can I buy the MDF pre-laminated?

Why the odd shaped opening? I was just planning to have a rectangular hole the same shape as the plate, just smaller. Jessem will sell me a template to match my Mast-R-Lift, but I didn't think it was worth the money.

Contact cement is what most use,You will find it right next to the Formica. Be sure to apply it in a well ventilated area, or use a good respirator. I've seen pre-laminated MDF, but not in the thickness or width you would need.

I have the odd shape opening, because my lift is a bench bog, and with the router installed, it weighs about 30 lbs. I didn't want that much weight hanging from a narrow lip, so I took some measurements and designed the recess to just clear my lifts bottom profile. This has the added benefit of letting me screw the lift down to the top, so it won't move ever. I bloged about how I made the recess template here.