Tool Chest

G S Haydon

I know tool chests are not to everybody taste. I was drawn to them by the look more than anything else. I liked the solid feel and simple robust construction. I also don't have a fixed area to work from so having mobile tool storage seemed a nice idea. And further to that I just wanted to make one.

post-11619-0-06057300-1366500630_thumb.j

It gave me the chance to practice some handcut dovetails too. As a joiner I nearly always use a variation on mortice and tenon construction so all the through dovetails was a nice change

post-11619-0-71133000-1366500738_thumb.j

I did't buy "The Anarchists Tool Chest". I instead made use of the free content on the Lost Art Press Blog which had a cutting list and an episode of the woodwrights shop which has a 25 minute overview of the tool chest 

post-11619-0-87582900-1366500840_thumb.j

I used the cutting list to get the nice proportions of Mr Schwarz chest. Although I did change a few details, not because the changes are better, just because I wanted to. I dropped the saw till lower to allow the bottom drawer to slide all the way to the front and I also added a bead to the top of the plinth and a scotia to the underside of the top rail 

post-11619-0-80210400-1366501059_thumb.j

post-11619-0-83966400-1366501078_thumb.j

I used Eastern White Pine for everything apart from the drawer bottoms and runners which are European Oak. I had never used EWP before this project. It was really easy to work and I am pleased to of gained some experience with it. If I had to do it again I think I would go for European Redwood which is similar in price and a bit harder and easier to get hold of in the UK

post-11619-0-91827000-1366501307_thumb.j

The most enjoyable aspect of this project was doing it for me and not for a client. Working with clients is a privelage and I enjoy it a great deal, It was just really good to do what I wanted, how I wanted.

post-11619-0-20541900-1366501501_thumb.j

I used real Milk Paint (powder added to water) and sealed the paint with a coat of BLO. I also gave the inside a coat of BLO. I did this only to give the pine a warmer tone.

post-11619-0-52988400-1366501639_thumb.j

I employed a local sign writer to personalise the chest for me by applying my name to the chest. I used some sign writing on an old cart axle my Great Grandfather made as guide for him to use.

post-11619-0-95438900-1366501821_thumb.j

My next project will be a built in wardrobe at home (no need to feature that one). However when that one is out of the way a workbench is next on the list. If you want any more details on the tool chest take a look at my blog and if you were feeling super nice a "like" on facebook would be really appreciated.

Also I just wanted to say since joining the Forum in February I have enjoyed being part of it. Thanks for being so welcoming :)  

Very nice G! So nice to see someone who understands molding and placement. I can't tell you how many times I have seen crown installed upside down in my parts.... EWP is a joy to work with, inexpensive in comparison to many hardwoods, but as you have found some of its charm is its "ageability". It is easily banged up and becomes an instant antique :-)

Did you clinch over those pull rings on the backside?

Hi Chopnhack 

Thanks! +1 on the benefits of EWP for a piece like this. No clinch I'm afraid, they have a screw fix but they do look the part. I have "clench nailed" work before. Usually a sawn finish ledged door. Many people think it's a mistake but it's one of the strongest nailing methods out there. 

Thanks again for the kind feedback.

Great job Graham. If I had one tiny criticism it would be on removing the scribe line at the bottom of the dovetail. This is only my personal preference and I know a lot of people like them as it is a sign of handmade craftsmanship (it's like the old pins first-tails first debate :) ).

Other than that it is a fantastic piece that hopefully will last as long as your great-grandads axle cart.

How did you fix the drawer bottoms in?

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for honest feedback. I did leave many marks, not just the cutting gauge lines! Everything was cleaned up with a hand plane with a minimum of abrasive. Just trying to tread a line between the right finish vs over finish (only based on my preferences though). That's one thing I like about tool chest/tool storage or any thing bespoke come to that ,it reflects the person who made it.

Regarding the drawer bases, it's just a butt joint secured with some old  heavy gauge straight slot screws that were hanging around. The base of the chest was fastened in the same way. I was going to nail them on but I liked the idea of being able to remove them (although I don't know why I would need to on the drawers but the base of the chest could get damaged I guess). 

At all stages I tried to avoid heading down a rabbit hole of making it to complicated, it is shop furniture after all.

Agreed, clenching is quite strong and period correct. +1 on the balancing the asthetics of shop furniture. Sometimes they are a great test bed for new finishes and methods without the fear of destroying a fine project.

Are you going to install D-ring handles of some sort on the sides for lifting or even as decor? I know of some folks that end up putting a caster base underneath to make it mobile. These chests get quite heavy!

Chopnhack 

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on the tool chest. I do already have metal castors on the tool chest and they are present in the photos. I have them set so the plinth is 3/4 inch above the floor and the castors are not visible. The 3/4 inch gap creates a nice shadow and distracts from the fact it's up in the air!

I will indeed fit some handles on. I am pausing and reflecting on design. What I have decided though is that they will be wrought iron. Wood looks great but I think the wrought iron will contrast nicely with the red

I think you've done an excellent job on the tool box. the only thing that looks 'wrong' to me are the bottoms of the drawers. With all the work gone into the dovetails I'd have used a rebate or drawer slips. Seeing all that contrasting wood doesn't seem quite right. (Well I had to find some slight fault, right?)

attachicon.gifDrawers.jpg

Very nice G! So nice to see someone who understands molding and placement. I can't tell you how many times I have seen crown installed upside down in my parts.... 

For someone who wouldn't know a crown moulding if it poked him in the eye, could you explain that? You can fly the Union Jack upside down, but it's not very noticeable...

John

For someone who wouldn't know a crown moulding if it poked him in the eye, could you explain that? You can fly the Union Jack upside down, but it's not very noticeable...

John

Crown molding is used to describe the molding that hides the meeting of the walls and ceiling in homes. It is sometimes installed upside down, which to most, doesn't appear odd. The giveaway is that the scotia or small cove is typically orientated so that it is on the bottom, i.e. wall side of the molding.

Is it called something else in Italy and UK?

Thanks chopnhack

In the UK and then in Devon (stuff varies from county to county let alone country to country) I would refer to it as cornice. One of the worst things about being a woodworker is that you notice that kind of thing you mention all the time. Before I started my apprenticeship I lived in ignorant bliss, I now always notice door gaps, twisted joinery, gappy joints, mouldings upside down..................

Crown molding is used to describe the molding that hides the meeting of the walls and ceiling in homes. It is sometimes installed upside down, which to most, doesn't appear odd. The giveaway is that the scotia or small cove is typically orientated so that it is on the bottom, i.e. wall side of the molding.

Is it called something else in Italy and UK?

In general they are called cornice modanatura. Cornice is also Italian for picture frame, which of course can use the same type of moulding. While in the UK we'd probably say cor-ni-see, in Italian it's cor-nee-chey ( http://translate.google.it/#en/it/picture%20frame - click the loudspeaker icon in the right hand box)

John

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

At one point, I was tempted to build a floor-chest as well, but found it too convenient to have the tools on the wall and easy to see/grab/etc, so built wall-hanging storage... I was tempted to go hybrid and build a chest and put it on a stand, but then I was back to wall-mount to conserve shop floor space...

Now that you've lived with the chest for a few months, how do you like storing your tools at knee-level? Have you ever gone wall-mount and how would you compare the two storage methods? Have you considered building a stand?