Options that didn't make the cut

Marc and I went through a lot of different design options for the Tilt Top Table while we were making the plans.  You've probably seen the final two options we published, which are quite different.  Marc put up a poll to see which one the community prefers, at this link:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/which-table-design-do-you-prefer/

Some of the early comments are suggesting to mix the column from Option 1, with the legs from Option 2.  Well, we looked at that combination and I happen to have the file right here.

TWWTilttoptableV7B-Option1and2Mix_zps338

Another one of my favorite options was the "I don't have a lathe or any way to round a column" version.  This would just be roughed out on the bandsaw and then smoothed.  You'd need four feet, one for each corner - but they are the same exact feet and the same router jig could be used to make the dovetail slots.

TWWTilttoptableV7B-SquareColumn_zps3dfe8

Like I said, we looked at a LOT of options.  Spiral columns, different shapes for the top, weird spiral feet, and even a carved "split foot" that takes the table in a whole new directions.

Take a peek.  Comments always welcome.  Better yet, show us your ideas!

LottaOptions_zps55f19411.png

From above, Xray mode on.

LottaOptions2_zpsf6b9e592.png

I really like the legs on the fourth one over in the last image, with the dramatic curves. Doesn't look easy, but looks very interesting.

The spiral legs don't match the spiral column.  I wonder if there's a way to continue the spiral line from the column down through the legs, like you continue the curve of the turned column through the legs in the version you finally chose.

We spent a good bit of time trying to figure out the spiral legs.  It was a struggle, frankly.  We limited ourselves to 8/4 or 12/4 stock as you can see in some of the notes, thinking that cutting them at the bandsaw would be the most "builder-freindly" approach.  They look pretty cool from the top in x-ray mode, but at least in SketchUp they were a little "blah" when looking from a normal angle.  For the amoutn of effort to construct them, it seems like they should have had more visual impact so we went back to the drawing board.

If you could do a bent lamination, a more dramatic spiral would be possible.  This might be a better look, and could be blended into the column like Chip suggested.