Bosch plunge routers - what's the difference?

nod

I'm looking at picking up my first router. I really like the Bosch MRC23EVSK with the controls on the grips (and seems to get favorable reviews). But the kit is pretty spendy. I'm wondering if the MRP23EVS is the same, but only includes the plunge base? Can anyone confirm or offer up any other info on this? I can use the plunge base at a fixed depth for most edge routing, right? Is the main reason to have the fixed base so you can set it up in a table? 

Some plunge bases have, or develop, a little lost motion in them.  I have an old 1613 that has always irritated me, but it gets used only on jobs where it doesn't matter.   http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/images/ElamsHouse_Oct._2012_034.JPG  That was a job where we had to mill off, and replace, the top 3/4" of some floor boards in an 1828 house.  Those grooves are around the nails, so we could pop the chunks out and remove the nails.

A fixed base is more secure for edge profiling.

Thanks Tom. Sounds like I should just buy the kit vs plunge only. it's only a $70 difference, but was hoping to spend under $200, not closer to 3. was sort of hoping, if these are technically the same machines, I'll just pick up a fixed base at a later date.

Plunge is convenient once in a while, but I rarely use mine.  A fixed base offers a little better accuracy and a lower center of gravity.  The Milwaukee 5616-24 kit is available from Tool-up for $235 shipped...it's in the same league as the Bosch IMHO....I actually prefer the MW a bit.  

pretty good price. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if I can get my hand on one locally to check it out. reviews look pretty promising on that one. 

Have you considered the 1617EVSPK I have this one and it's a lot better router than my old PC? it's the predecessor to the MRC23EVSK and about $80 cheaper.

In my shop the plunge base is really only used for plunge work. The fixed base is the work horse, as it's mounted to a shop make offset base and used for all hand held edge profiling, as it more rigid, and has a lower center of gravity. You can used the newer generation fixed bases in a table, but in my opinion they aren't nearly as well suited to it as a true router lift.

I'm looking at picking up my first router. I really like the Bosch MRC23EVSK with the controls on the grips (and seems to get favorable reviews). But the kit is pretty spendy. I'm wondering if the MRP23EVS is the same, but only includes the plunge base? Can anyone confirm or offer up any other info on this? I can use the plunge base at a fixed depth for most edge routing, right? Is the main reason to have the fixed base so you can set it up in a table?

• Like 1

Have you considered the 1617EVSPK I have this one and it's a lot better router than my old PC? it's the predecessor to the MRC23EVSK and about $80 cheaper.

In my shop the plunge base is really only used for plunge work. The fixed base is the work horse, as it's mounted to a shop make offset base and used for all hand held edge profiling, as it more rigid, and has a lower center of gravity. You can used the newer generation fixed bases in a table, but in my opinion they aren't nearly as well suited to it as a true router lift.

the 1617 was my original choice actually. I only just recently noticed the MRC23 is the next generation version. I really like the idea of the grip mounted trigger switches for easy on/off. I found some demo vid that showed a couple other upgrades and they seemed like a pretty nice evolution. I've read/heard that the 1617 is a serious workhorse. I was hoping these upgrades are worth that extra $80. maybe? maybe not?

I like my Bosch combo kit.  But if you plan to use it on a table with a lift kit be advised that "some" lift kits that clamp around the motor can't be used with this router.  The handle controls are great but the channel down the front of the motor that connects the controls on the base to the motor can get in the way.  Just make sure any lift kit you have or will purchase is compatible.

• 2 years later...