Shooting Board

prov163

I finally made a shooting board today. Even though I used my Starret square on the fence, it's still off a little. I'm thinking of taking Chris Schwartz's advice and using a shoulder plane to true it up. Is this a reasonable way to fix it or should I take another approach? The good news is I ordered a Veritas shoulder plane last week which will be here any day. WooHoo.

post-7016-0-09240900-1395091024_thumb.jp

GS, yep it's glued. After I did it I said to myself, "Self, that was dumb." It's only out about 1/32 but we all know that'll look like a 1/4 inch when it's butted against another piece. I guess I could shim it with playing cards or tape. I should have clamped it in place before I put in the last two screws, but alas I didn't. I really want to get this right because I'm trying to use hand tools more, especially for finessing a fit. Suggestions?

Tom, it is large enough I could cut it off and still have plenty of real estate to work on. Have to think on that.

Sam, that's a good option, too. Better option was to pay more attention when I did it, but that's water under the bridge.

Its a quick fix to a situation that you have now. It will give you a pretty darn precise 90 degree angle. That is until you have time to make a more fancy version without shim :)

Super random question...did you by chance buy that No. 4 off ebay about 3 weeks ago?  I was watching one that had similar pattern of tarnish.  There was an LV 6 from the same seller also that has that same "left in the garage unused" pattern of staining.  Of course, perhaps yours lives in your garage and has simply developed similar staining, but it's not something I see that much.  

I bought the 6 for well...a really really good price...a little staining doesn't bother, especially if it gets me a premium plane for a song.

Nice shooting board. If you have trouble truing it uo you can just put a little piece or two of blue tap whichever end, and it will shim the workpiece into square.