Mortise and tenon

Glen Bridges

Okay I'm new to the forum and I'm a novice at this. I want to try to make a small table using the mortise tenon method. How deep do you want to make mortise if you using a leg is 1 3/4"x1 3/4". Should I drill 13/16" deep? The next cut on the next side witch is just 90 degrees away, will it interfere with the first mortise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a table leg when two mortise's converge I would put a 45 deg. miter cut on the converging tenons that way you have maximum penetration in the leg mortise's by both tenons. That's the way I've approached apron to leg connections on the tables I've built in the past.

Part of the answer to the question depends on how much of a reveal you're going to have in front of the aprons on the leg.  If you're mortising dead center on the legs then going half the depth of the leg is going to have the tenons interfering with one another and you'll have to use one of the methods discussed above to have them meet in the middle.

However, the more typical approach to mortising in an apron on a leg is to have it closer to the front of the leg.  With a 1.75" wide leg you might try having just .25" between the apron and the front of the leg.  If your aprons are the typical .75" thick then that would leave .75" behind the apron on the leg.  You could then make your tenons a full .75" long and they should just miss one another.

Oh, and the answer to the tenon length is typically half the width of the leg.  You want as long a tenon as possible without compromising the strength of the leg.