rolling penguin

duckkisser

a few of you might have seen the rolling pins that i had posted a week or so ago and  i have been asked to make a  third rolling pin for a co worker who saw the ones that i had made. my coworker said she wanted one for her daughter who is geting married this year.  she told me that her daughter favorite animal is a penguin and her future husband proposed to her at the penguin habitat at the zoo.  the first couple that i made were solid rollers but this one will roll on its own because the handles will spin on mounted spindles.  the inlay is made from obsidian stone chips. 

th_IMG_0254_zpsf6a92902.jpg

th_IMG_0255_zps2fc07e71.jpg

th_IMG_0257_zpsa0223916.jpg

A lot of different sources stone shops, ebay, bead stores ect....shoot one of my students even used a rock he found at school in a flower pot to try doing an inlay on his own. I have even got stones from stone and bone carvers who sent me there extra chips. Including mammoth bone (was ugly looking as an inlay:))

I bought a lot of stones on a site called fire mountain gems http://www.firemountaingems.com nice thing is the necklaces are small enough I don't have to deal with large rocks already broken down into small pieces. That is where the obsidian came from.

You can also buy stone through this company. The rocks may be more expensive but what I have bought has been excellent quality. http://www.greatsouth.net/category/12/stones_for_woodturning

On my web site I have a tutorial on doing inlays http://featheredwoodworking.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/352/ the process is prity simple just time consuming.

If you like I can provide you with a list on different stones that you can use.

here are some stones, and other material that I use for inlay,

argonite

aluminum chips and powder

alabaster

brecciate jasper

acrylic chips

black slate

green slate

black jade

brass chips

chrysocola

carnelian

calcite both red and green

garnet

decorative sands that you can buy in a craft store

green jade

green garnet

African jade

golden fluorite

howlite

dyed howlite

lapis lazuli

malachite

bone powder (does not look good)

olive jade

absidian

azurite

fuchsite

malachite

pipestone/ catlinite

pink rhodonite

rhodocrocite

peridote

red coral

red aventurine

red jasper

steel dust

serpentine

sodalite

turquoise

varisite

yellow marble

SAW DUST

purple heart

paduke

red cedar

wallnut

ebony

yes I have all of these stones I built a container just for inlay with 5 drawers that slide out and a bunch of small plastic containers to put the stones in.

Duck, how does the aluminim powder work for you? Do you find it to be sort of dull and grayish, or does it polish out well? I tried it mixed into epoxy once, but was underwhelmed at the result.

Have you ever tried Mother of Pearl, or Abalone? Abalone works well in whole pieces or crushed. MOP is not as pretty when crushed.

I used super glue with the aluminum. I had a mixed reaction where parts polished and some did not. I had more problems with the aluminum turning surrounding wood grey with the fine powder rubbing onto the wood. I usualy add the aluminum to other stones to create a silver speckled look.

Haven't tried any shell chips haven't had a good source nice to know about the mother of pearl. I'll stick abalone when I find some.

Try saving the dust from you bench grinder. That had cool results it creates a black but the high lites are silver. But it's steel so it ended up being very hard to sand down. Now that I realized that I can use a diamond carving bit to grind down the inlay it much easer. I stuck a magnet on my grinder and ever few weeks I scraped it into a container.

• Like 2

Nice job, duck.  I like all of them.  I do share Cindy's concerns...the stone inlay appears to be a bit porous...bacteria traps.  But chances are they won't really use them anyway...they'll just keep them around as loved decorations and conversation pieces.  I still can't get my own mother to use the cutting boards I've made her.  "They're just too pretty," regardless of how many ways I explain otherwise. :rolleyes:

If there are pits I can't feel them. The picture does not show the stones that well. The process involves super gluing the stone in place so during the process of large stones, then small stones, then powder you fill most holes. I then used gel superglue to fill all the remaining pits. I did the gel process across the entire inlay 3 times just to make sure it was all filled. In the picture the spots that look like pits are actually filled with transparent glue. Plus the nature of the stone makes some surfaces more a Mat black and others more a gloss black so the surface looks more uneven.

To be honest I'm more worried about expanding and contrasting wood because of people not oiling it well after washing. I typed out instructions but can't make people do what is necissary.

I thought about using a epoxy for its elasticity but because of the curve of the rolling pin I need something that will dry fast or else it will drain out. Does anyone know of a flexible watery glue like thin superglue that won't fill the gaps I between the stones.