Shaker candle stands

Bombarde16

Reminds me of the four C's of trim carpentry:

1. Cut

2. Curse

3. Caulk

4. Chill

Time to start the legs. With the rise and run established, I drew and refined the curves until they looked right on my technicolor wafer board. Cut it out with a coping saw and this will become my template.

74f9495d650aeae845c0c05b6f08a9f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine you have to watch the times when you make a lot of noise with your router on an open masonry balcony. That's got to echo and annoy the neighbors.

I've always been in places where noise and neighborliness are issues. Today's Sunday, so I used the time to lay out and mark cuts, in this case for the trammel arm that will swing the tops.c8b0d40f700370421aa2dd36306d61cc.jpg

But I'll do the actual cutting tomorrow, when everybody is out at work.

That said, between the stereos, the motorcycle engines, the emergency sirens, and the random outbursts of profanity common to any urban environment, I don't think anyone cares.

• Like 2

Good: Bringing a pattern to the store so you can select a board that will yield the legs you need as well as the grain you want.

Bad: Forgetting the pattern at the store.

Probably left it in the cart basket. Called the store this morning and they didn't have anything in lost'n'found.

I wanted to make a new pattern anyway, didn't I?

I'm still here. Working my way through shaping the tops. Once again the hatchet has paid for itself, hacking off a substantial amount of the waste so the router doesn't have to work as hard. I think I've found my new favorite tool.

df7314fddd4f64e962a3d5bbeddc10bf.jpg9b389d2b0f396a6c982225d78f41caf4.jpg61fc83134b10c4c2c0d459231d3ffc74.jpg

In the second shot, you can even see one of the biscuits being excavated.

Indeed.  This is just a cheap hatchet from the blue box.  I imagine you could lose yourself (and a substantial amount of currency) down a rabbit hole getting into all the world of axes has to offer.  For now, it's just plain refreshing to rediscover my inner boy scout, merrily hacking away and watching chips fly.