Greene and Greene leg indent

atratinus

I would like to create these details on the dining table I am building. I have studied and feel comfortable making an angled jig and using my palm router to create them, but my issue is this: most articles I've read recommend a straight cutting bit; how then do I soften the interior of the indent?

I can't see G&G leaving the indent sharp, so I had originally thought I should use a cove bit or the like.

I hope this is all clear, and thanks for any suggestions.

Ryan

You could use a core box bit to leave a slightly radiused cut around the edges. But if you don't use a flat bottomed bit for the center area the sanding is going to be time consuming!

Make test cuts on scrap or cheaper softer wood before you cut into expensive stock or a leg that you have already cut and fitted into your project !

Are you referring to this detail?

If so, is the question of how to ease the edge of the sides?  The bushing on the router would automatically round the bottom corners.

Regarding the sides, the detail itself is less than 1/8" deep at the most.  A few light brushes with sandpaper will ease the edge nicely.

post-15261-0-54659600-1411146140_thumb.j

Vinny, I knew that Marc had incorporated the detail in that build, but I haven't purchased it. I have found other instructions/videos online, all of which use a straight bit; I assume Marc used one as well.

WoodButcher (nice handle), that bit is precisely what I was looking for. Now, though, I may just stick with the straight bit everyone else seems to have used, since I can't think of any other use I might have for a dish bit.

Thanks again everyone,

Ryan

Wow, nice, thanks, Vinny. Those photos certainly seal the the deal for the straight bit. If you (or anyone else--not to drag out this thread unnecessarily) could offer your thoughts on the proportions generally employed with this detail, I would very much appreciate it. My table will have 2" square legs at 30" length; I'm thinking an indent 1 3/8" wide, around 5 1/2" long, and 1 3/4" from the bottom of the leg.

Thanks,

Ryan