$199 Bandsaw Scientific Study and Review

wouldwurker

I looked at the HF planer very closely before I got lucky and found a gently used DW 735 on Craig's list for the same cost. The one at HF appears to be almost identical to several other brands, for about $50 less. My experience with HF tools has been pretty decent so far. Always open the box at the store to check for missing or broken parts. Buy the extra warranty on anything you don't want to throw away. And don't expect Festool quality for those prices...

• Like 1

Well, I pulled the trigger on a harbor freight model, ran about 10 board feet through it before I had to go to a Christmas, hobby and craft show in Indianapolis. I bought an extra set of blades for it, but so far, I am super impressed with its performance especially for $300 for a planer and an extra set of blades.

hellloooo fellow Hoosier! Thanks for the info on the planer, I maybe in the market for one soon, I think my little delta is dying, which sucks cause I've milled about 8 bf of curly maple with little to no tearout, on the factory blades let me add.

I picked up this one from Highland WW. As you can see...it's not installed yet

Lemme know how the 1/4" 6TPI Hook works for you.  I assume you got that one as a generic all purpose blade?    I ordered some Olson ones online and will see how they go.  I got a 3/16" 10TPI Regular for some basic stuff and curves; I'm not sure I trust 1/8" blade that is the saw's minimum.  I also got a 3/8" 4TPI Hook to try for some thicker rougher stuff (not that I expect this thing to be some kind of resawing monster by any stretch of the imagination)...again not sure I trust the 1/2" max width it claims it can handle.

I've just got into wood working and came across this great post. I too have been struggling with what to spend on a band saw.

Question, does it make more sense to buy a new lesser model for $200 to $300, or try to find a better quality used one on Craigslist for the same price? These seem to be very precise tools and I worry about getting one that isn't new.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

I think the point is, get what you can afford, if it does anything close to the job intended it will be better than having nothin, I am professional craftsman, I buy the best when it comes to work, but I am not afraid to buy a hobby grade machine for my hobby.

Menards has a very nice looking bench top bandsaw for 199.00 I was seriously considering as a replacement from my bench top delta, I ended up going with a 14 craftsman, which seems to be nearly identical to the Rikon, on sale for 349.00

I get the point about buy what you can afford, my question is does it make more sense to buy a new, lesser quality saw, or buy a used, "better" quality saw (for the same price)? These seem to be very precise tools, but not having experience with them I don't know if there is a low or high risk of a problem in a used one.

I guess if buying a used one I will of course test it first. Any suggestions on some quick tests I can do to make sure it's working properly, other than it cutting on :)

Thanks for thoughts on both questions!

I get the point about buy what you can afford, my question is does it make more sense to buy a new, lesser quality saw, or buy a used, "better" quality saw (for the same price)? These seem to be very precise tools, but not having experience with them I don't know if there is a low or high risk of a problem in a used one.

I guess if buying a used one I will of course test it first. Any suggestions on some quick tests I can do to make sure it's working properly, other than it cutting on :)

Thanks for thoughts on both questions!

In my mind it depends on if your into tinkering, I am a sucker for a basket case, cars, motorcycles, old tools, both of my brothers on the other hand, not so much… 

look and listen, you can tell a lot from a machine by how it sounds, check all bearings and blade tracking, a bad cut, is not necessarily the saw, the blade is a huge part of the saws performance. a bandsaw is pretty simple, I looked for a used one but, but i felt like i would have to get at least 1/2 price to seriously consider buying something some one else did not care for enough to keep around.

• 3 months later...