Arm-R-Seal Dead In The Can

Coop

I opened a qt. can of ARS about 6 weeks ago and used about half and firmly put the lid back in place. I opened it last night to use on a project and a hard glaze had formed on the top of the liquid. I got a small screw driver to chip around the edges to try and salvage all I could. This thing was hard as a dinner plate and almost as thick. You folks that use this stuff a lot, what do you do to make it have a longer shelf life? Luckily, I had another full can but was almost afraid to open it. I'm thinking of devising some way to form a vacuum in the can or purging it w/ nitrogen.

I just looked at my half-full two year old can. Totally solidified. :(

Chemists (I used to be one) often use nitrogen to purge and keep air out of a chemical reaction. But, even better is to use argon because it is heavier than air and will stay in a layer on the surface of the solution that is being protected so you don't need much.

I buy it by the gallon and I pour it into a pint can and use it from that.  Whenever the pint can gets half empty I refill it.  When the rim or lid of the pint can get too crusted up I switch to a new one.  I usually end up with the last half pint or pint in the gallon not being usable.  It's a lot easier to pour from the plastic gallon container than the round cans. 

I haven't tried it out by I found this solution by Andrew Klein interesting.  He added a tap to the can.

http://youtu.be/f1hGK1pOG60

• Like 1

Long time Waterlox user and here is what I do. Buy a gallon and put into 4 quart mason jars. Open a jar and pour what you need to apply into small container. Use a propane torch, unlit of course, and release a few seconds into mason jar and close. Apply your finish and if anything left DONT put back in container. It has been exposed to oxygen too long and trying to save a few ounces might make you toss a lot more.

Propane is heavier than oxygen and will block it from your finish.

• Like 1

krtwood, That was a pretty neat video. Some finishes say to stir and not shake, I don't know if that applies to ARS. I think I will try the propane torch or the Bloxygen ideas. I know this stuff is too darn expensive to not do anything, regardless of how good it is.

Bloxygen and Wine Saver are the same stuff, and work well...

You can also fill the air space with marbles or loose nuts and bolts.   If you use the nuts and bolts, wash in SLX and let dry before the first use.  You can use them over and over.

Marbles? Fill the can w/ marbles to raise the liquid level to the top?