Handtool Dovetail Ipad/Iphone Stand

Benjamin Smith

Back when I only had hand tools, I forced myself to do several dovetail joints a day just for practice.  Rather than just burn through wood, one day I decided to cut a groove in one and use it to hold my phone to avoid scratches from inevitable woodshop carelessness.  Somebody liked it, so I made this one special using maple and walnut. 

My design requirements were to demonstrably use handtools only, even though I had acquired a router and also sufficient skill to do hand work that looked machined at that point.  The two-depth groove allows unknown phone and tablet cases to fit and balance, which has already extended the life of this piece beyond the lifetime of the phone.  I cut the groove using regularly spaced drill holes of two different bits, and made it square with the chisel, taking care to preserve evidence of handwork.

The primary joint is a hand cut mitered through dovetail, making this a true stand as opposed to having the groove itself support the device.  I anticipate that devices would change dimensions frequently, and people buy new ones too.  I didn't want the thing to become useless after phone updates.  Plus it looks cool.

The finish is shellac, french polished with wonderful chatoyance from a few inches of scrap wood. 

post-16216-0-90369600-1412089418_thumb.j

post-16216-0-98957200-1412089456_thumb.j

I cut the groove using regularly spaced drill holes of two different bits, and made it square with the chisel, taking care to preserve evidence of handwork.

Quite a juxtaposition between an elegant dovetail and that groove.  Why the intentional decision to leave the holesaw marks if the intent was to highlight handwork?