Festool Jigsaw

Mzdadoc

Going to class tonight but also picking up a festool jigsaw. Small vs large one. Got an ok from my beautiful wife so please offer comparisons other than the price. I understand the comparison with the handle but want to hear if there's more I'm not finding with my research that makes one stand above the other.

Thanks,

Shannon

• Like 1

I've used just about every Jigsaw FT introduced to North America. Many are so/so, a few were crap and several really crap. In short, FT's history with Jigsaws has been rather iffy. The only two I can recomend are the Trion PS300 and the PSC 420 w/ the larger-capacity 18v battery (BTW: they don't exactly advertise that two version of 18v batteries exist). Initially, the 420 looks good, but I'm still a bit gun-shy --- the previous Carvex units were total crap and withdrawen very quickly from the US/Canadian markets.

My 20+ year old Bosch does a great job. Of all the tools Festool makes I haven't heard much good about the jigsaws.

Sanders with good dust collection, Domino, track saw and routers come to mind as tools Festool does quite well.

I have the little trim router and use it extensively with laminate work. I have tried many brands and it is the best trim router I have used in over 35 years.

Jigsaws just aren't tools that lend themselves to innovation. I have a Festool, and it's a quality tool, but it's just a jigsaw...which I think is why you don't hear people raving about Festool jigsaws. Festool is all about precision, but since jigsaws are not precision tools, there's no opportunity for a Festool to shine. I think it's a waste of money and could be better spent elsewhere. If I could get a do-over, I wouldn't own one. It's green Kool-Aid at its worst.

Well kiki I needed to know this last night.... LOL I did buy the larger one but as I think about it today I keep saying to myself "That could have bought a lot of wood"

I've been leaning toward taking it back because I think I got a little over excited when my wife said sure go ahead. I seem to keep buying tools instead of buying materials. As I sit here typing what I really need is clamps!

Well kiki I needed to know this last night.... LOL I did buy the larger one but as I think about it today I keep saying to myself "That could have bought a lot of wood"

I've been leaning toward taking it back because I think I got a little over excited when my wife said sure go ahead. I seem to keep buying tools instead of buying materials. As I sit here typing what I really need is clamps!

That's one nice thing about Festool there is always a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee!

Jigsaws just aren't tools that lend themselves to innovation. I have a Festool, and it's a quality tool, but it's just a jigsaw...which I think is why you don't hear people raving about Festool jigsaws. Festool is all about precision, but since jigsaws are not precision tools, there's no opportunity for a Festool to shine. I think it's a waste of money and could be better spent elsewhere. If I could get a do-over, I wouldn't own one. It's green Kool-Aid at its worst.

You could always trade it for something more useful...and multifunction

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/storage-systems/sysport-cart/multifunction-stool-cart-499325

==>Jigsaws just aren't tools that lend themselves to innovation

+1... Although...

I used to consider 'strobe' on the 420 to be a gimic... But, I was doing a bit of fine work with the thing, and strobe-mode was quite useful. I also like the auto-sensing speed. My only real concern is long-term durability -- it's only great to add sexy new gismos if they don't fail the month after the warranty expires... One problem with the 420 is the LED modes -- since I use a jigsaw about once a month, I can never remember the mode-sequence... I will say the 18v is nice -- most of my stock breakdown was done with a panel saw because I was too lazy to find a cord and plug-in the jigsaw -- now with 18v, it's my go-to break-down tool. I may just sell my LN panel saw... I haven't used it since getting the 420-18v...